Exercise MAPLE RESOLVE
From May 8 until May 22, 2023, approximately 2 500 Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) and partner military personnel will take part in Exercise MAPLE RESOLVE 23 in Wainwright, Alberta.
Exercise MAPLE RESOLVE is the Canadian Army’s largest and most complex training exercise of 2023. This event ensures our soldiers are prepared to deploy in support of Canadians in any capacity, including combat operations.
- Most soldiers participating in Ex MAPLE RESOLVE 23 are from 5 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group (5 CMBG), based in Valcartier, Quebec.
- This year, Ex MAPLE RESOLVE 23 is a key portion of a wider ‘spring training’ regimen for 5 CMBG in Wainwright. Exercise REFLEXE RAPIDE is a live fire exercise that serves as the lead-up training for Ex MAPLE RESOLVE.
- Training is conducted in an immersive environment known as the Decisive Action Training Environment. Training activities are nested within a complex scenario in which the Canadian Armed Forces are called upon to fight alongside NATO Allies against a peer enemy.
- The training on Ex MAPLE RESOLVE 23 is not mission or operation specific, but rather ensures CAF personnel are ready to respond to any operation or deployment in defence of Canada or Canadian interests.
- This comprehensive and complex Canadian Army training event, designed and developed by the Wainwright-based Canadian Manoeuvre Training Centre, validates personnel from 5 CMBG as ready to deliver on the Canadian Army’s operational commitments.
- The Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) provides aircraft and personnel to train on the exercise. This included six CH-146 Griffon helicopters, two CH-147F Chinook helicopters, and approximately 300 personnel. The RCAF also provides airlift support to move personnel and equipment to and from the exercise from across Canada.
- This exercise is a key event to practice interoperability with international partners. This year approximately 400 soldiers from the United States and United Kingdom participated.
- Ex MAPLE RESOLVE ensures Canadian Army soldiers are ready to be mobilized as a brigade to respond to crises throughout the full spectrum of operations alongside Canada’s close allies and partners.
- Date modified: