About the Council
Created in 2016, the Prime Minister’s Youth Council provides non-partisan advice to the Prime Minister on issues of importance to young Canadians and to Canada as a whole. Government of Canada officials frequently consult the Council as one mechanism to incorporate youth perspectives in government policy.
The Privy Council Office (PCO) supports the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Led by the Clerk of the Privy Council, the department helps the government in implementing its vision, goals and decisions in a timely manner. In April 2016, the Youth Secretariat was established within the PCO, to support the Prime Minister in this new capacity as Minister of Youth, including:
- the creation and administration of the Prime Minister’s Youth Council;
- contributing to the development of the Canada Service Corps;
- supporting youth engagement with the government of Canada; and
- offering strategic leadership, objective policy advice and coordination on youth issues.
The Youth Secretariat supports the work of the Prime Minister’s Youth Council through facilitating Youth Council members’ engagement with the Prime Minister, Cabinet, federal departments, other leaders and organizations working on youth issues, as well as supporting Youth Council members’ engagement in their communities.
- Find out more about the Privy Council Office
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: