Young Canada Works at Building Careers in English and French (employers)
Young Canada Works (YCW) at Building Careers in English and French is an internship program for unemployed or underemployed post-secondary graduates. The Program helps college and university graduates develop career-based skills to help them transition to the job market. Interns can improve their professional skills and start a career in areas related to their field of study. Eligible employers may benefit from wage subsidies and access to a pool of talented youth with innovative ideas and competitive skills.
There are two types of internships, including:
- Internships in Canada EXCLUSIVELY to staff positions in official-language minority community media (radios and newspapers).
- International internships to staff positions mainly related to the language industry.
Internships can last from four to 12 months, and interns must work 30 to 40 hours per week. Preference will be given to employers offering an internship period of six to 12 months. Interns with a disability are eligible for part-time work in Canada only.
Who can apply
An employer may be eligible for funding if it is:
- a private, public or non-profit organization with opportunities to build advanced skills through internships;
- conducting activities in both official languages;
- stable and financially healthy; and
- for domestic internships: an official-language minority community media (radios and newspapers).
An employer is not eligible if it is:
- a federal department, federal agency or Crown Corporation; or
- a provincial or territorial government department.
The deadlines for internship applications are determined by the delivery organization that administers the program, the Fédération de la jeunesse canadienne-française (FJCF).
Application approval takes a minimum of two months following the program deadline. Please contact the FJCF to inquire about deadlines or the status of an application.
How to apply
To apply, employers are required to:
- obtain a copy of the Young Canada Works Employer Guide by contacting the Delivery Organization to which they plan to submit an application, or the YCW Secretariat at PCH.coordonnateurjct-ycwcoordinator.PCH@canada.ca;
- visit the Young Canada Works login page to create a new account or reactivate their profile from a previous year;
- follow the step-by-step instructions to complete an application; and
- submit their application to the FJCF for evaluation
Once the delivery organization has received an application, it will be reviewed and evaluated.
Read more about the available funding and hiring requirements in the frequently asked questions for employers.
Transportation and accommodation costs
For Canadian internships, Young Canada Works at Building Careers in English and French will pay reasonable students transportation costs (round trip) within the program’s policy. Accommodation costs must be covered by the participants. The delivery organization will be responsible for the transportation management.
As for international internships, Young Canada Works at Building Careers in English and French will cover transportation and part of accommodation costs abroad.
For questions related to internships, please contact the appropriate delivery organization.
For general questions about Young Canada Works, please contact:Department of Canadian Heritage
Young Canada Works Secretariat
15 Eddy Street
Gatineau QC K1A 0M5
- 1-800-935-5555 (toll-free)
- 1-800-926-9105 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8 am to 8 pm (ET).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: