Young Canada Works in Heritage Organizations (students)
Young Canada Works (YCW) in Heritage Organizations (YCWHO) is an employment program for students. It offers them the opportunity to improve their skills while acquiring practical knowledge in the heritage field.
Full-time positions generally last from six to 16 weeks. Students may work full-time or part-time.
Canadian Heritage and the Government of Canada are committed to strengthening diversity, equity and inclusion in youth employment. Youth belonging to equity-deserving groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Who can apply
A student may be eligible for employment if they:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- are between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) during the Young Canada Works (YCW) work assignment;
- have been a full-time high school, college, CEGEP or university student (as defined by their educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW work assignment; and
- intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW work assignment.
Note: Priority will be given to students who have not previously participated in the YCWHO employment program.
There is no deadline for students to apply, but it is recommended that applicants create an account and submit their candidacy before the summer.
How to apply
To apply, students are required to:
- visit the Young Canada Works login page;
- create an account by clicking on the "Sign up" link, then complete and submit a candidate profile;
- browse job opportunities via the "Search for a job" link in their account; and
- express their interest in a position by clicking on the job title and then on “Express interest in this job".
Students selected for a position will be required to complete the following online forms and reports over the duration of their job:
- Candidate Eligibility Form (initiated by the employer) – To confirm student eligibility to participate. This must be completed before a student is hired by their employer.
- Staffing Report (initiated by the employer) – To ensure that the details of the job are accurate. This information must be confirmed during the first week of work.
- End of Work Term Report – To ensure the student’s job has successfully ended. This must be completed on the student’s last day of work.
- Evaluation Questionnaire – To provide feedback regarding the program. This must be completed at the end of the student’s employment.
Any questions about these obligations should be directed to the employer. There are instructions for all forms and reports within the student’s YCW account.
YCWHO does not hire students directly. It is the employer's responsibility to hire individuals for their funded position(s). Employers approved for funding can search through the candidate list and contact students to hold an interview.
Participant travel assistance
The Program may reimburse transportation and en route accommodation costs incurred by participants who must relocate more than 125 km from their permanent residence to work at a YCW job site.
Please contact your Delivery Organization for more details.
For questions related to jobs, please contact the appropriate Delivery Organization.
For general questions about YCW, please contact:Department of Canadian Heritage
Young Canada Works Secretariat
15 Eddy Street
Gatineau QC K1A 0M5
- 1-800-935-5555 (toll-free)
- 1-800-926-9105 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8 am to 8 pm (ET).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: