Defence Team Mental Health Week – May 3-9
About Mental Health Week
Mental Health Week is a Canadian tradition where schools, communities, and workplaces come together to celebrate, protect, and promote mental health. This year’s theme is #GetReal about you how you feel.
Every year since 1951, the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) has held Mental Health Week (You are now leaving the Government of Canada website) in the first full week of May, with this year’s edition running from May 3-9.
Mental Health and the Defence Team
The pandemic has resulted in a high degree of uncertainty and disruption to our lives, and it is not unusual to feel a heightened degree of anxiety and worry about the potential impact on your mental health.
As we continue to navigate through this uncertain time, Defence Team members can access a variety of resources and information to help maintain and improve mental health and overall personal well-being. Remember, you’re not alone.
Information: Get Support
If you need urgent help, you can call the Employee Assistance Program Line at 1-800-268-7708. They are available to offer support 24/7.
For CAF members and their families, you can call the Member Assistance Program at 1-800-268-7708. If your family members are in need of support and resources, thy can reach out to the Family Information Line at 1-800-866-4546 24/7.
What’s happening across Defence for this year’s Mental Health Week
Defence Team Mental Health Co-Champions Vlog
Tuesday, May 4, 2021
Tune in to the CAF Facebook (You are now leaving the Government of Canada website) and Instagram accounts (You are now leaving the Government of Canada website) on May 4 for a special message from your Defence Team Mental Health Co-Champions, Deputy Minister Jody Thomas and Vice Chief of the Defence Staff LGen Mike Rouleau on the topic of getting real about your Mental Health and being honest with how you really feel.
Wednesday, May 5: 1:30 to 3 pm (EST)
In collaboration with the Canada School of Public Service (CSPS), the Treasury Board’s Centre of Expertise on Mental Health in the Workplace is pleased to present a virtual panel discussion to celebrate Mental Health Week:
- Katharine Coons, National Workplace Mental Health Specialist, Canadian Mental Health Association
- Catherine Paradis, Senior Researcher, Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction
- Dr. Hayley Hamilton, Senior Scientist, Institute for Mental Health Policy, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- Becca Atkinson, The Unashamed Alcoholic podcast host and member of our Federal Speakers’ Bureau on Mental Health (Accessible only on the National Defence network)
- Moderator: Vincent Houle, Ombud, Director, Ethics and Organizational Well-Being, Canada School of Public Service
Register for the event here.
Wednesday, May 5: 8:30 am to 6:00 pm (EST)
Join the movement to end stigma around mental health by participating in the LifeSpeak Mental Health Marathon. The program will bring leading mental health experts right to you to answer your questions for a full day in our popular Ask the Expert web chat format.
How to sign up:
- Click on the above link.
- Username and password are both: canada.
- Click “Add to Calendar” for any or all of the web chats you are interested in. No sign up is required.
- On the day of the event, click the link in your calendar item to go to the web chat page. Alternatively, you can access the web chat on the day of the event by clicking the MARATHON tab in the navigation menu.
- Ask your questions (100% anonymously if you wish!), and watch specially curated video content, all from the comfort of your desk, home or phone. Please note that your question(s) will only appear and be answered if selected by the web chat moderator.
Webinar: Let’s Get Real About Mental Health
Thursday, May 6 (English) and Friday, May 7 (French)
Join the Total Health Programs team (EAP and Mental Health) on Mental Health week, for an informative webinar that will equip Defence Team members with information on how to access mental health support and services, identify available mental health educational tools and resources and how to recognize and challenge mental health stigma in the workplace.
Date: May 6, 2021
Time: 1:00 to 2:30 EST | Speakers: Alicia Cameron-Zouzoulas, EAP Policy Advisor from Employee Assistance Program (Accessible only on the National Defence network) & Lynsey Burton, Mental Health Policy Advisor from Mental Health & Well-Being (Accessible only on the National Defence network).
Date: May 7, 2021
Time: 1:00 to 2:30 EST | Speakers: Audrey-Pier Diotte, EAP Coordinator, Employee Assistance Program (Accessible only on the National Defence network) & Rachelle Downton, Mental Health & Well-Being Advisor, Mental Health & Well-Being (Accessible only on the National Defence network).
To register: Please send an e-mail to EAPCorporateOffice-BureauministerielduPAE@forces.gc.ca.
Location: Virtual (Zoom). A link to the virtual presentation will be provided to registered participants.
Ask the Experts - #GetReal about your Mental Health
Thursday, May 6, 2021
Join us on May 6 and have your mental health-related questions answered by experts Dr. Sowinski, Defence Scientist with DGMPRA, and LCol Andrea Tuka, Canadian Forces Health Services Chief of Psychiatry. The Ask the Experts session will take place on the CAF Facebook (You are now leaving the Government of Canada website) and Instagram accounts (You are now leaving the Government of Canada website).
During this time, you may also want to take advantage of free online courses offered by the CSPS to learn more about mental health and well-being, as well as psychological health and safety in the workplace.
Mental Health Week Resource Hub
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: