The Student Passport outlines important onboarding tasks to help you integrate and familiarize yourself with the Department of National Defence (DND). It is developed specifically for this summer hiring season, when students will work remotely and have no access to the Defence Wide Area Network (DWAN). Note that within your first three days of work experience, you will be provided with a DND Orientation and a pay briefing virtually. The National Civilian Welcome and Integration Team (NCWIT) will contact you with information on these sessions.
Before you start with the DND
- Check your personal inbox for a message from the NCWIT. If you haven’t received it, please email the NCWIT
- Read about the Defence Team’s vision and organizational priorities.
- Note that students are paid in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Students. Payday is every two weeks, falling on Wednesdays. You can expect to get paid four weeks from the date your work experience starts (as we are paid in arrears).
- Download the HR GO RH App for free on iOS or Android and take the time to read through the COVID-19 Resources and the Student’s Corner available to you.
- Get in touch with your hiring manager and ask to meet with them early on your first day of work if they haven’t scheduled a meeting yet. It is strongly recommend that you request to meet via video conference if in person meetings are not feasible.
- Prepare yourself in advance for the meeting by making a list of questions to ask your manager.
Your first day
- Meet virtually or in person with your manager to be sworn into the Public Service and sign the Solemn Oath or Affirmation. Go over any questions pertaining to your letter of offer and the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Students.
- During your meeting, discuss your working hours, breaks, leave reporting and language of work.
- Review the Home Office Workstation Checklist (external link). If you suffer an injury while teleworking, report it immediately to your manager.
- Review the DND/CAF Security Guide for Teleworking during the COVID 19 Response.
- Introduce yourself to your colleagues and peer partner (if assigned). A will assist with your transition into the DND.
- Discuss with your manager or peer partner the virtual collaboration tools that will be used during your work term. For advice and training on these tools, you can contact the Learning and Career Centres.
- Set up your email signature block and out-of-office-message. Check out the Standard Email Management, Appendix E for the email signature blocks template and Annex A of this passport for the out-of-office message template.
- Become familiar with the Employee Assistance Program and LifeSpeak, resources available to you as a student.
Onboarding – Your first week onwards
- Meet with your manager to discuss your work objectives, learning plan, and how your work will be evaluated throughout your term.
- Ask your manager about self-registering on GCcampus at the Canada School of Public Service (CSPS) and on the Defence Learning Network (DLN) platforms. Should you have any issues self-registering to either platforms, please contact the NCWIT.
- Complete the Recommended training for Students within 2 weeks of your appointment date. Check out the CSPS Learning path for students with your manager if there is any additional training that is required or could be useful for your job.
- Familiarize yourself with the DND organizational structure and themilitary ranks within the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).
- Check out the Student’s Corner, under the Working at DND section of the HR GO App, to take advantage of the onboarding information and tools which will help you better understand your new role and ensure that you enjoy your work experience with us.
Integration and Networking – Your first month onwards
- Remember that payday is every two weeks, falling on Wednesdays. After four weeks of employment, ensure that you have received your first pay deposit. If you did not receive it, please notify your manager.
- Discuss with your manager your work experience to date and ask for preliminary feedback on your performance.
- Update your manager on the training you have completed and suggest any additional training you may be interested in taking.
- Meet with your peer partner (if assigned) to discuss your experience to date.
- Network with other employees and students.
Offboarding – Your last week at the DND
- Meet with your manager to give and receive final feedback on your work experience, and update them on any remaining files, documents or projects you were working on.
- Include in your resume your accomplishments during this term with the DND.
- Update your GCcollab profile (accessible only via DWAN) and check the Career Marketplace Student Integration inventory if you are interested in continuing to work in the Public Service.
- Thank your manager and your team for your work experience.
- Please complete the Treasury Board Student Exit Survey (SES). If you don’t receive it a week before your departure, contact the NCWIT.
- If you have any remaining questions or feedback, please contact the NCWIT.
- For any HR related questions talk to your manager or contact HR Connect RH at 1-833-RHR-MDND (1-833-747-6363).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: