DAOD 6000-0, Information Management and Information Technology
Date of Issue: 1998-08-31
Date of Last Modification: 2019-07-16
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
- National Defence Headquarters Policy Directive P3/94, DND/CF Policy for Information Management
- Information Management Directive (IMD) 1/95
Approval Authority: Assistant Deputy Minister (Information Management) (ADM(IM))
Enquiries: Director Defence Information Management Planning (DDIMP)
communications security (sécurité des communications)
The protection resulting from the application of cryptographic, transmission, emission, physical and traffic-flow security measures to deny unauthorized persons or entities any information of value that might be derived from the study of all communications means. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 23375)
defence terminology (terminologie de la défense)
The body of standardized general, doctrinal, operational, organizational, technical, procedural and administrative terminology pertaining to DND and CAF activities. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 27543)
information management (gestion de l’information)
A discipline that directs and supports effective and efficient management of information and data in an organization, from planning and systems development to disposal or long-term preservation. (Policy on Information Management, Treasury Board)
information security (sécurité des informations)
The protection of information against unauthorized disclosure, transfer, modification or destruction, whether accidental or intentional.
Note – Information may exist in the human mind, in document form and in electronic form. Information in the human mind will be protected by the use of appropriate personnel security measures. Information in document form will be protected by the use of appropriate document security measures. Information in electronic form will be protected by the use of appropriate INFOSEC measures (AAP-31; AComP-01 - 790.NN.33). (Defence Terminology Bank record number 13819)
information technology (technologies de l’information)
Involves both technology infrastructure and IT applications. Technology infrastructure includes any equipment or system that is used in the automatic acquisition, storage, manipulation, management, movement, control, display, switching, interchange, transmission or reception of data or information. IT applications include all matters concerned with the design, development, installation and implementation of information systems and applications to meet business requirements. (Directive on Management of Information Technology, Treasury Board)
information technology security (sécurité des technologies de l'information)
Safeguards to preserve the confidentiality, integrity, availability, intended use and value of electronically stored, processed or transmitted information. (Operational Security Standard: Management of Information Technology Security (MITS), Treasury Board)
3.1 ADM(IM), as the Defence Chief Information Officer (CIO) for the DND and the CAF, is responsible for the effective and efficient management of IM and information technology (IT) as described in the Treasury Board Directive on Information Management Roles and Responsibilities and the Directive on Management of Information Technology.
3.2 This DAOD, along with the DND and CAF IM and IT Policy Framework, provides the strategic context on how the Defence CIO provides supporting direction and guidance relating to the management of IM, IT, information security, IT security, communication security (COMSEC) and defence terminology to the DND and the CAF.
3.3 The DND and the CAF are committed to a collaborative approach for the delivery of IM and IT, aligned with DND and CAF priorities, and supported by centralized oversight and direction.
3.4 The DND and the CAF must:
- develop and maintain integrated IM and IT business plans;
- establish DND- and CAF-wide strategic direction and governance structures for IM and IT;
- ensure that the Defence CIO has visibility on all IM and IT activities across the DND and the CAF; and
- provide clear, concise and consistent direction and guidance on the management of IM, IT, IT security, information security, COMSEC and defence terminology.
4.1 Should clarification of the policy statement, requirements or authorities set out in this DAOD be required, DND employees and CAF members may seek direction through their channel of communication or chain of command, as appropriate. The anticipated results set out in the policy statement may not be achieved by the DND and the CAF if the requirements specified in this DAOD are not properly implemented. Not achieving the anticipated results could affect the ability of the DND and the CAF to ensure that the CAF is prepared to undertake missions for the protection of Canada and Canadians and the maintenance of international peace and stability.
5.1 The following table identifies the authorities associated with this DAOD:
|has or have the authority to ...
level one advisors and commanders of commands
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- Policy on Information Management, Treasury Board
- Directive on Information Management Roles and Responsibilities, Treasury Board
- Directive on Management of Information Technology, Treasury Board
- Operational Security Standard: Management of Information Technology Security (MITS), Treasury Board
- DAOD 1000-6, Policy Framework for Information and Information Technology Management
- DAOD 1000-8, Policy Framework for Safety and Security Management
- DAOD 6001-0, Information Management
- DAOD 6002-0, Information Technology
- DAOD 6003-0, Information Technology Security
- DAOD 6004-0, Defence Terminology
- DND and CF IM and IT Policy Framework
- IM and IT Policy Staffing Process – Appendix A to the DND and CAF IM and IT Policy Framework
- Signature and Approval Process for IM and IT Standards and Guides
- Guideline on Supplementary Policy Instruments (draft)
- Guideline on the Management of ADM(IM) and Defence CIO Directives, Instructions and other Correspondence
- ADM(IM) IM and IT Policy Instrument Development intranet site
- ADM(IM) IM and IT DAOD, Standards and Guides intranet site
- ADM(IM) Interim Directives, Instructions and Other Correspondence intranet site
- Date modified: