DAOD 8012-1, Meteorological and Oceanographic Products and Services Programme
Date of Issue: 2011-08-04
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
Approval Authority: Chief of Defence Intelligence (CDI)
Enquiries: Director Meteorological and Oceanography (D Met Oc)
The Canadian Forces Weather and Oceanographic Service (CFWOS) provides and arranges for the provision of meteorological and oceanographic (METOC) products and services to fulfil DND and CAF requirements anywhere in or outside Canada.
Strategic level oversight of the METOC products and services programme is provided by the CFWOS Steering Committee established by the CDI.
Members of the Steering Committee include director-level representatives of:
- all commands with METOC resources;
- the Meteorological Service of Canada (a branch of Environment and Climate Change Canada); and
- the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
The Canadian Forces Weather and Oceanographic Service Manual sets out the terms of reference for the Steering Committee.
METOC Products and Services In and Outside Canada
The DND and the CAF shall make use of the METOC products and services of:
- Environment and Climate Change Canada and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans for operations and training in Canada; and
- host nations for operations and training outside Canada.
If these are not adequate to ensure safety and operational effectiveness, additional support is provided through the CFWOS.
Oversight and Coordination
To assist in the oversight, review and coordination of the METOC products and services programme, the D Met Oc has established a CFWOS Management Committee (MC) that is comprised of representatives from all commands with METOC resources.
The D Met Oc hosts the annual military oceanography (MILOC) meeting to provide oversight, review and coordination for the MILOC programme and the underwater acoustics programme.
Ad hoc or permanent working groups may be formed to support the CFWOS MC and the annual MILOC meeting as required.
The Canadian Forces Weather and Oceanographic Service Manual sets out the terms of reference for the MC and the MILOC members. This manual and the Military Oceanography Manual provide detailed programme guidance. Both manuals are available on the D Met Oc intranet site.
Programme reviews may be undertaken by the CFWOS MC as required and during the annual MILOC meeting as a result of:
- changes in DND and CAF user requirements;
- advances in scientific knowledge;
- improvements in METOC equipment; or
- changes in funding allocations.
Any CFWOS MC or MILOC representative may initiate a programme review.
The following table identifies the responsibilities associated with this DAOD:
is responsible for…
commander of a command
Canadian Defence Academy
Assistant Chief of Military Personnel
|D Met Oc||
- DAOD 8012-0, Meteorology and Oceanography
- Canadian Aviation Regulations, Part VIII, Air Navigation Services, Subpart 4, Aviation Weather Services and Assessment of Runway Visibility
- Memorandum of Understanding Between The Department of the Environment & DND Concerning Meteorological and Information Technology Services
- Master Data Exchange Arrangement (MDEA) (Canada and United States)
- The Multilateral Master Information Exchange MOU (MMIEM) (Canada, United States, United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand)
- National Defence Security Instruction 26, Access to and Release of Information
- MC 0594, Military Committee Policy on Meteorological and Oceanographic (METOC) Support to NATO Forces (available in English only)
- Canadian Forces Weather and Oceanographic Service (CFWOS) Manual
- Canadian Forces Manual of Military Oceanography (available in English only)
- CF Weather Office intranet site
- Directorate of Meteorology and Oceanography intranet site
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: