Transfer for the Halifax International Security Forum
- The Halifax International Security Forum has established itself as one of the premiere gathering places to discuss global security issues.
- In these Estimates, National Defence is transferring $3.1 million to the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency to cover our share of the successful 2019 Forum.
- National Defence is proud to support this event, as it provides an invaluable opportunity for Canada to shape discussions on international security issues.
- Key themes for this year’s conference included: climate change, the Arctic, China, the use of technology in defence and national security, and Women Peace and Security.
- We continue to talk with our partners to ensure that this Forum yields value to decision-makers and Canadians.
- In August 2019, National Defence entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency to contribute funding to the Halifax International Security Forum for a one-year period.
- In November 2019, the Forum hosted over 300 participants from over 30 countries and organizations.
- The Halifax International Security Forum (HISF) is organized by HISF Inc., which is funded by the Department of National Defence and the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA) through a contribution agreement managed by ACOA.
- The initial contribution agreement, signed in 2013, was worth $9.8 million and was meant to fund the Forum for five years, from 2014-2018.
- The agreement was terminated in early 2017 as a result of the distribution of additional funds by National Defence in 2016-17 to alleviate financial pressures and allow the 2016 iteration of the Forum to proceed.
- Since 2017, National Defence has entered into a yearly Memorandum of Understanding with the ACOA to support the organization of Halifax International Security Forum. Each year, National Defence’s contribution is approximately $3 million.
Version 5; 2020-02-19 – Source: Director Budget draft tab; D Parl A Supps (B) 2019 note, “Canadian Safety and Security Program.”
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: