Occupant handbook - General

Orientation meeting

When you arrive, an orientation briefing will be provided to you at the Housing Services Centre. Your Housing Services Centre representative will review this handbook with you, have you look over and sign your Licence to Occupy (formerly known as the Conditions of Occupancy), and give you keys to your new home. They will let you know of any site-specific information to help you settle into the neighbourhood.

Department of National Defence housing check list for new occupants

Please make note of any damages or deficiencies you notice in the unit allocated to you. Fill out, sign and hand in the condition report to the Housing Services Centre within five (5) working days of your move-in day. We may already have this information on file, but the condition report will help make sure you are not held responsible for anything we may have overlooked.

Locks and keys

When you move into your new home, you will be given no less than two (2) sets of keys. When you move out, you will be asked to return all keys provided to you.

To respect your privacy, the Housing Services Centre does not keep a spare set of keys to your house. If you lock yourself out, the Housing Services Centre can arrange a locksmith for access, but you will be charged for this service. During regular business hours, please call the Housing Services Centre at the number indicated on page six (6). After-hours, please contact the Emergency After-Hours Response Service at 1-800-903-2342.

Please contact the Housing Services Centre to obtain approval to change locks or install security devices.


The Canadian Forces Housing Agency does not cover any loss or damage to the contents of your house. You are required to have liability insurance and personal property insurance to cover damage or loss to your personal possessions and to your house in the event of fire, flooding, theft, etc. Proof of insurance must be provided to the Housing Services Centre prior to taking possession of the unit. Your insurance coverage needs to be kept up-to-date, and we may ask you to provide proof of your coverage at any time during your occupancy.

Damage caused by movers

Please inform the Housing Services Centre of any damage to the residence and the grounds caused by your movers. Regardless, you will be responsible to cover the costs of repairs. You are therefore encouraged to submit a claim for damages to the moving company for reimbursement of damages caused by movers. Please note that there is a time limit associated with such claims.

Extended absences from your house

When your house is unoccupied for a period longer than 48 hours, please make sure the residence is checked on a daily basis so that emergencies can be dealt with promptly. Let the Housing Services Centre know the name and telephone number of someone who will be able to provide access to the house while you are away. Without this information, you will be held responsible for all costs of gaining access to your house in an emergency situation, and all damages to the residence.

While you are away, your lawn, sidewalks, steps and driveway still need to be maintained.

Reasonable and emergency access

Canadian Forces Housing Agency employees and contractors might need to access your home from time to time for appraisals and other types of required inspections. Except in an emergency, the Housing Services Centre will inform you and provide the reason, date and approximate time for the inspection at least 24 hours in advance. Even during extended absences from your home, there needs to be a way for Housing Services Centre staff to gain access to your home.

In emergencies such as, but not restricted to, fire, flood or gas leaks, Canadian Forces Housing Agency employees or contractors may be required to enter your residence in the performance of their duties without obtaining your permission.

It is recommended that you ask anyone requesting entry to your home for identification (ID) and that you inform the Housing Services Centre of any unscheduled visits.

Canadian Forces Housing Agency contractors

Although not all maintenance contractors have ID cards, they do carry official work orders issued by the Canadian Forces Housing Agency. The contractors will phone you to arrange an appointment time during normal working hours that is convenient for the both of you. The Housing Services Centre should be provided with current, local phone numbers to pass along to contractors who are trying to contact you.


When utilities are provided by the Crown (water, gas, fuel and electricity), you will be informed by your Housing Services Centre of how much you will be charged for utility services and are responsible for these costs. When a utility is not provided by the Crown, you will have to arrange for the service from a local provider.

Failure to obtain and maintain utilities might result in damage to your house or constitute a health hazard and may be considered justifiable cause for eviction. If the Canadian Forces Housing Agency has to assume the cost of supplying utilities that are your responsibility in order to prevent damage to your house, or to top-up a fuel tank where you failed to do so on vacating, recovery action will be taken.

Cable/satellite dishes and telephone

The Canadian Forces Housing Agency will provide a functioning telephone jack in a common area of your house.

You are responsible for paying for telephone, cable and satellite service, including the installation of additional and/or relocation of jacks or cable as well as satellite installation and their upkeep. Please see the section of this handbook on “Activities Requiring Housing Services Centre Approval” for more information on satellite installation.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: