13-22 – Smoking Policy
Cadet Administrative and Training Orders (CATOs)
1. This order describes the policy regarding smoking within the Canadian Cadet Organizations (CCO), the Cadet Instructors Cadre (CIC) and those employed or contracted in support of the CCO.
2. The guidelines found in the present CATO are consistent with Part II of the Canada Labour Code, with Treasury Board (TB) directives and with the Canadian Cadet Movement’s (CCM) promotion of a healthful lifestyle.
3. Existing federal law prohibits the sale of tobacco products to minors. In keeping with the intent of this law, smoking by cadets at LHQs during cadet activities and at CSTCs is to be discouraged.
4. This policy should be widely disseminated and included in all Joining Instructions in order to prevent any misunderstanding by cadets.
5. It is important to remember that cadet activities not taking place in a DND building are regulated by provincial smoking legislation and by the By-Laws of the municipality in which the activity takes place. These provincial and municipal requirements must be followed.
6. To promote a safe and healthy environment free of tobacco smoke, cadet corps commanding officers must ensure that the following guidelines are followed:
- continuing education program at cadet corps level to quit smoking is to be encouraged;
- smoking during instruction is prohibited;
- breaks, for the purpose of smoking during cadet activities are to be discouraged;
- the selling of tobacco products at cadet canteens and messes is prohibited;
- smoking during parade nights and other training activities:
(1) inside federal government buildings is prohibited, and
(2) inside non-federal government buildings is to be discouraged and is subject to provincial smoking legislation as well as local By-laws;
(3) outside or at the entrance(s) of a federal government building is prohibited if the federal government owns the land at the building entrance(s) or if smoking at the entrance(s) adversely impacts the internal air quality of the building;
(4) outside of or at the entrance(s) of a non-federal government building is subject to provincial smoking legislation as well as local By-laws;
- all personnel are to be encouraged to refrain from smoking in the presence of cadets; and
- smoking is prohibited during transport to and from a cadet activity when transportation is provided by DND.
Cadet Summer Training Centre (CSTC)
7. The above guidelines for cadet corps must be applied in all CSTCs. Because of the intense nature of the training offered during the summer at CSTCs, the Commanding Officers (COs) are encouraged to implement policies to reduce smoking by cadets and to provide a smoke-free environment.
8. When not prohibited by federal legislation, provincial legislation or municipal by-law, particular areas may be designated and identified as smoking areas. In addition, separate areas shall be designated for cadets, staff cadets and non-cadet personnel.
OPI: D Cdts 2
Date: Apr 05
Amendment: Ch 2/05
- Date modified: