13-28 – Advanced Training – Staff Cadets
Cadet Administrative and Training Orders (CATOs)
1. This order supersedes Cadet Administrative and Training Orders (CATO) 13-28 issued February 2002.
2. Staff cadet is defined in the Queen’s Regulations and Orders for the Canadian Cadet Organizations (QR (Cadets)).
3. Staff cadets are appointed to such rank as is authorized by the Commanding Officer (CO) of a Cadet Summer Training Centre (CSTC) established to conduct summer training.
4. On the authority of the CO of the CSTC, Staff cadets may be requested to participate in advanced training, including instructional, supervisory or administrative functions that are approved by the Regional Cadet Support Unit (RCSU) CO for that training centre.
5. Staff cadets may not be less than 16 years of age as of the first day of January of the year of advanced training.
6. Staff cadets are not employees. Participation by the staff cadet during authorized CSTC summer training (CATO 34-01, 42-01 and 54-20) constitutes advanced training.
7. The “CSTC Staff Cadet Advanced Training Agreement” contained in Annex A shall be completed prior to the participation in advanced training by a cadet.
Staff Cadet Classification
8. Advanced training staff cadets are to be divided into two distinct categories:
- Type 1 – Training; and
- Type 2 – Training Support.
9. Prerequisites for staff cadets advanced training are detailed in Annexes B, C, and D.
10. Subject to paragraph 13, waivers of prerequisites for Local Headquarters (LHQ) and summer training, previous advanced training and special prerequisites for in-region staff cadets may be authorized by the RCSU CO only if qualified personnel are not available.
11. No age related waivers can be granted.
12. All regions shall make every effort to offer advanced training to qualified cadets from other regions before using the exceptional measure set out in paragraph 10. Direct liaison between regional staffing agencies is authorized and encouraged.
Out of Region Advanced Training
13. Out of region advanced training of staff cadets shall be in accordance with CATO 23-16.
14. A staff cadet involved in advanced training at a CSTC is entitled to an Advanced training allocation as described in QR (Cadets) and in Annex E to this order.
15. A staff cadet is not eligible for pay level or incentive pay category increases.
16. A staff cadet is not entitled to the payment of a cadet training allocation.
OPI: D Cdts 2
Date: May 06
Amendment: Ch 1/06
- Date modified: