24-10 Annex A – Tender Officer-in-Charge Training
Cadet Administrative and Training Orders (CATOs)
1. This annex prescribes the policies and procedures governing Tender Officer-in-Charge (TOIC) training in the CIC.
2. The aim of TOIC training is to provide selected Cadet Instructors Cadre (CIC) officers with the knowledge and skills required to perform the duties of an Officer-in-Charge (OIC) of a Tender class vessel. Upon successful completion of the TOIC course, graduates will be qualified to be employed onboard tenders in various capacities, up to those of Executive Officer (XO).
3. Attainment of the TOIC qualification is achieved through a phased approach. In accordance with (IAW) Reference (Ref) A, an officer who wishes to obtain the qualification of OIC of a Tender class vessel must:
- have successfully completed an eight week TOIC course;
- have completed the required practical requirements (sea-time) for tender charge vessels; and
- be accredited by an OIC Board, IAW Ref B.
4. Candidates must meet the following prerequisites:
- belong to CIC Sea (MOSID 00232-01);
- hold the minimum rank of Acting Sub-Lieutenant;
- have successfully completed the Sea Environmental Training Course (SETC) or equivalent;
- have a strong seamanship background, including at-sea experience as a CF member, a Sea Cadet or in a civilian environment;
- have excellent mathematical skills and be able to do mental calculations;
- be able to work under highly stressful situations and in close quarters;
- meet the Maritime Surface and Sub-Surface (MARS) officer medical requirements (V3, CV2, H3, G2, O2, A5). Regions are required to confirm that candidates meet this medical requirement;
- must be recommended by the Commanding Officer (CO) of their Regional Cadet Support Unit (RCSU); and
- be available to work onboard Tenders in various capacities at any SCSTC or NDA for a period of at least three years.
- DRAFT Tender Officer-in-Charge Qualification Standard and Plan (OPI VENTURE NOTC);
- Maritime Command Order (MARCORD) 9-50; and
- DRAFT ORCA Officer-in-Charge Qualification Standard and Plan (OPI VENTURE NOTC).
- Date modified: