Funeral and burial expenses
Compensation and Benefit Instructions (CBI) 210.20
The purpose of this instruction is to assist in defraying the cost of a dignified funeral and burial for members of the Regular and Reserve forces.
Funeral and burial expenses for currently serving members on paid service (Regular Force and Reserve Force Class A, B or C) will be defrayed by the Department of National Defence (DND) up to the limits outlined in regulations, as shown in the tables on Page 33. Any expenses which are outside of the authorized spending limits will be borne by the person entitled to the remains. A member who dies while on LWOP (Leave without pay), other than maternity or parental leave, or is absent without authority for a period of 21 days or longer, is not entitled to this benefit unless the Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS) so directs under special circumstances.
The overall co-ordination of funeral and burial arrangements for currently serving members on paid service is in accordance with the wishes of the deceased member as stated in his/her will and is the responsibility of the executor or personal representative named in the will.
The overall co-ordination of military funeral and burial arrangements for currently serving members on paid service, consistent with current regulations and orders, is the responsibility of the unit.
Funeral and burial expenses
Funeral and burial expenses for currently serving members will be paid by DND up to the limits outlined in regulations as detailed below. All costs expended above the set limit stated below will be borne by the estate.
The set rate of $15,291 (exclusive of the Goods and Services Tax and Provincial Sales Tax) will be adjusted annually, on April 1, to allow for a cost of living adjustment based on Consumer Price Index for the previous calendar year.
Temporary grave marker
As some time must elapse before a permanent headstone can be erected, the Commanding Officer (CO) shall, subject to the wishes of the person entitled to the remains, place on the grave, as soon as possible after interment, a temporary wooden marker showing the Service Number, rank, initials, surname, Branch or Regiment, date of death, and age of the deceased member; up to the limits outlined in regulations, as shown in the table that follows. Photographs of the grave should be forwarded to the person entitled to the remains.
Director Casualty Support Management (DCSM) administers funeral expenses, family travel expenses and headstones. Contact DCSM at 613-995-1753, 613-944-4041 or 1-800-883-6094.
Burial and funeral service, including cremation: $15,291
- Casket or urn
- Viewing casket or urn
- Funeral Director Fees and Services (such as Funeral Director's professional services, support staff services, registration and documentation, embalmer's professional services, use of the funeral home)
- Cremation Fees
- Limousine and hearse rental
- Church rental, or other rental facility and equipment, including seating attendants
- A niche in a columbarium (including perpetual care of the niche)
- Scattering of ashes
- Bulletins, obituaries, and other death notices
- A clergy member, including costs of considerations related to religious groups that may not make up the majority of serving members
- An organist or other musician
- Flowers, photos, register books, a memorial video/CD/DVD, or other mementos
- Reception and catering
DND headstone or marker - prevailing rates
When the person entitled to the remains does not wish to place a DND headstone, provided by the Last Post Fund (LPF), DND will defray a part of the cost of a private headstone, marker or memorial of an amount not to exceed $3,110.
DND will defray the cost of a temporary grave marker at prevailing rate, aside from the headstone allowance stated above.
Transportation of remains (at the request of the person entitled to the remains) - prevailing rates
- If at the request of the person entitled to the remains, the burial is to be in a place other than the place of death, actual transportation costs may be reimbursed in addition to the costs at paragraph 5 of CBI 210.20 under the following circumstances:
- When the member is away from his/her parent unit, transportation back to the parent unit and then to the place of burial
- From the place of death to the place of burial
- From the place of death to the nearest crematorium for cremation and then the transportation of the ashes to the place of burial
- Special provisions made or required by the carrier for the transportation of the remains shall be included in the actual cost of the transportation
Special casket (if an oversized or hermetically sealed casket is required) - prevailing rates
- Type of casket required by provincial or other laws regarding shipment of remains
- Director Casualty Support Management (DCSM) is the authority for reimbursement with the Commanding Officer's (CO's) certification, based on the Medical Officer's (MO's) recommendation that this type of casket is warranted by condition of the remains
Cemetery plot – prevailing rates
- Single permanent plot
- The percentage for a single plot when a multiple plot is purchased
- Opening and closing fees, as well as perpetual care of the plot
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: