National Military Cemetery (NMC)
Defence Administrative Orders and Directives (DAOD) 5018-3
Dedicated in June 2001, the NMC is a national focal point for sacrifices made to maintain Canada's commitment to peace and security, both internationally and at home. The Department of National Defence, in partnership with Beechwood, the National Cemetery of Canada in Ottawa, operates the NMC of the Canadian Forces (CF).
All serving and honourably released members of the CAF (Regular and Primary Reserve) and Canada's Merchant Navy are eligible to be interred in the NMC. One designated immediate family member may also be interred in the same plot as the service member. Verification of entitlement will be established in every case.
Applicants, family members and/or funeral directors will facilitate burial arrangements directly with Beechwood Cemetery, once the NMC application has been approved. Beechwood Cemetery will then coordinate the purchase, production, and installation of the standard headstone that will be used in the NMC. Fees for burial and related services are based on rates approved annually by the Ontario Ministry of Corporate and Consumer Relations. All burial costs for personnel who are killed or die while still serving will be borne by the CAF (up to a maximum value in accordance with Treasury Board Directives). Burial costs for veterans and their designated family members will be borne by the applicant or his/her estate. Beechwood offers pre-payment options so that those wishing to be buried at the NMC can take advantage of current prices. The current rates for burials and associated costs are published on the NMC web site.
- Subject to availability and the wishes of the family, a military presence will be made available for all interments of former members of the CAF (Regular and Primary Reserve). This may include a small Presence Guard, padre, bugler and/or piper. Immediate family members, who are not former members of the CAF, are not entitled to this service. No fee will be assessed for this honour. In order to ensure that proper support can be provided, the request for military presence must be made a minimum of five working days in advance.
The Registration Application form can be downloaded from the NMC web site. Eligibility criteria will be verified and approval granted as quickly as possible to avoid delays and minimize stress for bereaved families.
When a serving member dies and it is determined that the interment will be at the NMC, the Unit Commanding Officer (CO) or Designated Assistant (DA) will inform Director Casualty Support Management (DCSM).
Plots will not be pre-selected nor allocated by rank, service or regiment/unit.
- All inquiries related to applications for burial in the NMC should be directed to DCSM, toll-free in Canada at 1-800-883-6094, or local and outside Canada, 613-992-0307
- To contact Beechwood Cemetery to make arrangements after your application has been approved, you can call 1-866-990-9530 or 613-741-9530 or you can send an e-mail
- For more information, visit the NMC web site or e-mail us at email@example.com.
- The NMC is located in the Beechwood Cemetery at 280 Beechwood Avenue in Ottawa, Ontario, K1L 8E2
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: