Education reimbursement programs
Defence Administrative Orders and Directives (DAOD) 5031-5, 5031-6, Compensation and Benefit Instructions (CBI) 210.80, 210.801, 210.802, Canadian Forces (CF) Military Personnel Instruction 17-04, CANFORGEN 136/04
The purpose of ER is to provide eligible members with opportunities related to education upgrading, professional development, accreditation of military training, and preparation for career transition.
Serving members of the Regular Force and the Primary Reserve are eligible for ER. Regular Force and Primary Reserve members must have completed Basic Military Training or Basic Military Officer Training in order to be eligible for reimbursement.
ER programs fall under the policy and program management authority of the Canadian Defence Academy (CDA), and are currently administered by Base/Wing Personnel Selection Offices (B/WPSOs). These programs provide opportunities for CAF members in the areas of continuing education and professional development.
The two main ER programs are CF Mil Pers Instruction 17/04 - ER for the Regular Force, and CBI 210.801 ER - Primary Reserve.
An additional program that relates to CF training and education or education upgrading benefits therefore falls under the authority of CDA, though is intended to address the training needs of some transitioning CF members is CBI 210.802 Skills Completion Program - Regular Force.
- Education Reimbursement for the Regular Force (ER Reg) – Eligible members may apply to be reimbursed 100% tuition and other eligible education upgrading related expenses for courses leading to a university or college degree, diploma, or certificate. This program applies to Regular Force members participating in part-time study.
- Education Reimbursement for the Primary Reserve (ER PRes) – Eligible Primary Reserve Force members may apply to be reimbursed for eligible academic expenses for courses leading to a degree or diploma at a rate of 50% of eligible expenses to a maximum of $2000 per academic year. There is a career maximum of $8000 for all eligible service in the Primary Reserve.
- Skills Completion Program - Regular Force – This program is intended to support the career transition plans of members who have complete 10 years of cumulative service in the Regular Force, and who have not already completed a degree or diploma, or possess a current civilian professional certification or trade accreditation. Eligible members may apply for reimbursement of 100% of eligible expenses to a maximum of $5400. Members must submit their Individual Learning Plan (ILP) to CDA for approval no later than one year following the day of the member's release or transfer from the Regular Force.
- Details on all ER Programs, current reimbursement rates, and career maximum expenses can be found on the CDA Internet site.
- Contact your local Base or Wing (B/W)PSO or CDA Headquarters (HQ) Learning Support Services at 613-541-5010 ext. 3609 or Christopher.Dann@forces.gc.ca for additional information relating to ER programs.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: