Medical treatment and expenses
Queen's Regulations and Orders (QR&O) Chapter 34.07, Entitlement to Medical Care
This section describes the entitlement to medical treatment and coverage of medical expenses for Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members dependent upon their terms of service.
Members of the Regular Force, Reserve Force on Class C Service and extended Class B Service are eligible for comprehensive medical care at public expense, while so employed. They are not eligible to care for the treatment of chronic non-service related conditions.
- Reserve Force Members with Medical Conditions Attributed to Service –
- The extent of medical care provided and/or paid for by the Canadian Forces Health Services (CFHS) to Reserve Force members who develop medical conditions as a result of their service is briefly described below.
- Eligible Reserve members, while still employed in the CAF, are entitled to medical care at public expense to treat any condition that is attributable to service.
- Specifically, after the employment period has been completed, a Commander of a command may, upon recommendation of the attending physician, authorize the extension of the period of service in order to provide medical care at public expense to a Reserve member whose need for medical care is attributed to the performance of duty.
- Where there are reasonable grounds to believe that the condition is attributable to military service, and unless the Reserve member has been released from the CAF, the CFHS should continue to provide medical care to the Reserve member, as long as the officer commanding a command approves the extension of the period of service, even if relatedness to service has yet to be conclusively determined.
- To ensure continuity of care, the treatment may be jointly shared/coordinated by the Base/Wing Surgeon and a civilian family doctor. Base/Wing Surgeons must oversee medical care provided at public expense. Medical care provided at public expense to Reserve members must conform to CFHS standards, comparable to the medical care provided to Regular Force members.
- Release – A member of the CAF is not entitled to medical care at CF expense beyond the effective date of release.
Medical treatment and expenses are entitlements under the responsibility of the Commander CF Health Services Group. The point of contact is the closest military Health Services Centre.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: