United Nations (UN) Military - Death and disability compensation


The UN has a Death and Disability Compensation program for members on UN missions. However, it makes a key distinction between medical claims for United Nations Military Observers (UNMOs), and those for contingent members, including staff officers.


Regular Force and Reserve Force Class C members may be entitled to UN Military Death and Disability Compensation. For UNMOs, the member can process claims directly to the Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations (address below). For contingent members, they are treated differently with regard to a claim. The member cannot make an application as it is left to the discretion of the Government of Canada (GoC) to submit a claim on behalf of the member.


It is to be noted, under current legislation, a claim submitted to the UN, be it by a member under the UNMO's status or the GoC on behalf of a member, the payment will be used as an offset against any payment for a similar claim to Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC).

To this date the GoC has not made any representation to the UN on behalf of any members of a formed Unit/Contingent. As such for disabilities sustained by Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members while deployed to the UN as part of a formed Unit/Contingent (including staff officers), a claim should be submitted to VAC under the auspice of the Disability Award Program in accordance with the New Veterans Charter (see Section 1 - www.veterans.gc.ca).

  • UNMO Claims – Medical claims must be submitted within four months of the injury or death of an UNMO, or onset of the illness. In exceptional circumstances, the Secretary-General may accept for consideration a claim made at a later date. It is important to note that the documentation accompanying the claim will be critical in demonstrating its validity and ensuring its approval in a reasonably timely manner. Therefore, either a combination of, or at least one of the following, should be provided:
    • UN accident report
    • UN Board of Inquiry
    • UN medical documentation
    • UN NOTICAS (Notification of Casualty), or
    • Similar type of document or report. Claims must be sent to the Canadian Mission at the address provided below. Subsequent correspondence and enquiries should also be directed to the Canadian Mission, either by letter, facsimile 212-848-1196, or telephone 212-848-1157. It is stressed that the UN medical claims process is particularly slow. Claims will usually take years to resolve. In addition, the UN has yet to establish a policy to address Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) claims. As a result, PTSD claims at this time may be submitted, however they will not be adjudicated for an indefinite period. PTSD claims should nevertheless be processed in order to ensure they are in the possession of the UN.


UNMO Claims should be forwarded by mail to the following address:

Deputy Military Adviser
Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations
One Dag Hammarskjöld Plaza
885 Second Avenue, 14th Floor
New York, NY 10017

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: