24th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA
The official lineage of the 24th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA.
This Reserve Force regiment originated in Fernie, British Columbia on 1 May 1914, when an "eight company regiment of infantry" was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: '107th (East Kootenay) Regiment' on 2 November 1914;Footnote 2 and 'The Kootenay Regiment' on 12 March 1920.Footnote 3 On 15 December 1936 it was converted to artillery and redesignated the '24th (Kootenay) Field Brigade, RCA'.Footnote 4 It was redesignated: '24th Reserve (Kootenay) Field Brigade, RCA' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 5 '24th Reserve (Kootenay) Field Regiment, RCA' on 15 March 1943;Footnote 6 '24th Field Regiment, RCA' on 1 April 1946;Footnote 7 '24th Heavy Anti- Aircraft Regiment, RCA' on 5 February 1948;Footnote 8 '24th Medium Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA' on 22 August 1955;Footnote 9 '24th Medium Anti-Aircraft Artillery Regiment, RCA' on 12 April 1960;Footnote 10 and '24th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA' on 10 December 1962.Footnote 11 It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 28 February 1965.Footnote 12
Upon redesignation as The Kootenay Regiment on 12 March 1920 (see above) it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (54th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (225th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).
The Kootenay Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 December 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 30/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
The Kootenay Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of conversion to artillery on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 177/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
'54th', and '225th "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'
Trail, British Columbia
The First World War
The 54th Battalion, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '54th Battalion, CEF',Footnote 13 embarked for Britain on 22 November 1915.Footnote 14 and disembarked in France on 14 August 1916.Footnote 15 It fought as part of the 11th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war.Footnote 16 The battalion was disbanded on 30 August 1920.Footnote 17 The 225th Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '225th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 18 embarked for Britain on 26 January 1917.Footnote 19 Its personnel were absorbed by the '16th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 6 February 1917 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 20 The battalion was disbanded on 1 September 1917.Footnote 21
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: