33rd Medium Artillery Regiment, RCA

The official lineage of the 33rd Medium Artillery Regiment, RCA.

Badge

Lineage

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 30 November 1866 and incorporates the following regiment and artillery batteries.

The 33rd Medium Artillery Regiment, RCA originated in Cobourg, Ontario on 1 April 1946, when the '33rd Medium Regiment, RCA' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated the '33rd Medium Artillery Regiment, RCA' on 12 April 1960.Footnote 2 On 6 July 1960, it was amalgamated with the '22nd Independent Medium Artillery Battery, RCA' (see below) retaining the same designation.Footnote 3 It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 12 February 1965.Footnote 4

The 22nd Independent Medium Artillery Battery, RCA originated in Cobourg, Ontario on 1 May 1866, when the 'Garrison Battery of Artillery at Cobourg' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 5 It was redesignated: 'Cobourg Company of Garrison Artillery' on 1 January 1893;Footnote 6 'Cobourg Company of Garrison Artillery, CA' on 28 December 1895;Footnote 7 'Cobourg Heavy Battery, CGA' on 15 February 1913;Footnote 8 '2nd Heavy Battery, CA' on 2 February 1920;Footnote 9 '22nd Medium Battery, CA' on 1 July 1925;Footnote 10 '22nd Medium Battery, RCA' on 3 June 1935;Footnote 11 '22nd (Cobourg) Medium Battery, RCA' on 1 December 1938;Footnote 12 '22nd (Reserve) (Cobourg) Medium Battery, RCA' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 13 and '22nd Medium Battery, RCA' on 1 April 1946.Footnote 14 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '47th Anti-Tank Battery (Self Propelled), RCA' (see below) and redesignated the '22nd Independent Medium Battery, RCA'.Footnote 15 It was redesignated the '22nd Independent Medium Artillery Battery, RCA' on 12 April 1960.Footnote 16 On 6 July 1960, it was amalgamated with the '33rd Medium Artillery Regiment, RCA', as above.

Notes:

The 2nd Heavy Battery, CA was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 June 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 102/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the battery.

The 33rd Medium Artillery Regiment's date of origin is not traced to the formation date of the Garrison Battery of Artillery at Cobourg as lineage is traced from the formation of unit not sub- unit sized organizations, ie. regiments and battalions.

The 47th Anti-Tank Battery (Self-Propelled), RCA originated in Kingston, Ontario on 14 September 1866, when the '47th "Frontenac" Battalion of Infantry' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 17 It was redesignated: '47th Frontenac Regiment' on 8 May 1900;Footnote 18 and 'The Frontenac Regiment' on 12 March 1920.Footnote 19 On 15 December 1936, it was converted to artillery and redesignated the '47th (Napanee) Field Battery, RCA'.Footnote 20 It was redesignated: '47th (Napanee) Field Battery (Howitzer), RCA' on 1 December 1937;Footnote 21 '47th (Reserve) (Napanee) Field Battery (Howitzer), RCA' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 22 '47th Reserve (Napanee) Field Battery, RCA' on 24 June 1942;Footnote 23 and '47th Anti-Tank Battery (Self-Propelled), RCA' on 1 April 1946.Footnote 24 On 1 September 1954, it was amalgamated with the '22nd Medium Battery, RCA', as above.

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Frontenac Regiment on 12 March 1920 (see above) it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (146th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (no CEF designation) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Frontenac Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 June 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 133/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Frontenac Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of conversion to artillery on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 212/36). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the unit.

Perpetuations

'2nd Heavy Battery, CGA, CEF'; and '146th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF'

Headquarters Location

Cobourg, Ontario

Operational history

North West Rebellion

The 47th "Frontenac" Battalion of Infantry mobilized one company for active service on 10 April 1885.Footnote 25 The company served with the 'Midland Battalion' in the Alberta Column of the North West Field Force.Footnote 26 The company was removed from active service on 24 July 1885.Footnote 27

First World War

The Cobourg Heavy Battery was placed on active service on 6 August 1914 and served in Lévis, Quebec, and Vancouver, British Columbia, providing coastal artillery support in the fall of 1914.Footnote 28

The 2nd Heavy Battery, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '2nd Heavy Battery, CGA, CEF',Footnote 29 embarked for Britain on 15 June 1915.Footnote 30 The battery disembarked in France on 16 September 1915, where it provided heavy artillery support as part of the 2nd Brigade, CGA, CEF in France and Flanders until the end of the war.Footnote 31 The battery was disbanded on 23 October 1920.Footnote 32

The 146th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '146th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 33 embarked for Britain on 25 September 1916.Footnote 34 Its personnel were absorbed by the '95th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF' on 7 October 1916 to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 35 The battalion was disbanded on 17 July 1917.Footnote 36

Version PDF, 31 KB

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: