39th Field Artillery Regiment, (Self-propelled), RCA

The official lineage of the 39th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA.

Badge

Lineage

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 15 June 1914 and incorporates the following regiments and operations room.

The 39th Field Artillery Regiment (Self-Propelled), RCA originated in Winnipeg, Manitoba on 15 June 1914, when the '14th Brigade, CFA' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: '5th Brigade, CFA' on 2 February 1920;Footnote 2 '5th Field Brigade, CA' on 1 July 1925;Footnote 3 '5th Field Brigade, RCA' on 3 June 1935;Footnote 4 '5th (Reserve) Field Brigade, RCA' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 5 '5th (Reserve) Field Regiment, RCA' on 1 April 1943;Footnote 6 '39th Field Regiment, RCA' on 1 April 1946;Footnote 7 and '39th Field Regiment (Self Propelled), RCA' on 19 June 1947.Footnote 8 On 31 December 1954, it was amalgamated with the '52nd Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA' (see below) and the '6th Anti- Aircraft Operations Room, (Mobile), RCA' (see below), retaining the same designation.Footnote 9 It was redesignated the '39th Field Artillery Regiment (Self-Propelled), RCA' on 12 April 1960.Footnote 10 It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 31 January 1965.Footnote 11

Notes:

The 5th Brigade, CFA was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 October 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 231/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the brigade.

The 5th Brigade, CFA was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 November 1920 (GO 186/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 52nd Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA originated in Flin Flon, Manitoba on 1 April 1946, when the '52nd Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 12 On 31 December 1954, it was amalgamated with the '39th Field Regiment (Self Propelled), RCA' and the '6th Anti-Aircraft Operations Room, (Mobile), RCA', as above.

The 6th Anti-Aircraft Operations Room, (Mobile), RCA originated in Winnipeg, Manitoba on 1 April 1946, when the 'No. 6 Anti-Aircraft Gun Operations Room, RCA' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 13 It was redesignated the '6th Anti-Aircraft Operations Room, (Mobile), RCA' on 30 June 1951.Footnote 14 On 31 December 1954, it was amalgamated with the '39th Field Regiment (Self Propelled), RCA' and the '52nd Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RCA', as above.

Perpetuation

'5th Brigade, CFA, CEF'

Headquarters location

Winnipeg, Manitoba

Operational history

The First World War

The 5th Brigade, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '5th Field Artillery Brigade, CFA, CEF',Footnote 15 embarked for Britain on 9 August 1915.Footnote 16 It disembarked in France on 19 January 1916,Footnote 17 where it provided field artillery support as part of the 2nd Canadian Divisional Artillery in France and Flanders until the end of the war.Footnote 18 The brigade was disbanded on 23 October 1920.Footnote 19

Version PDF, 16 KB

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: