3rd Field Engineer Squadron

The official lineage of the 3rd Field Engineer Squadron.

Badge

Branch camp flag

Branch camp flag

Lineage

This Reserve Force squadron originated on 1 July 1902 and incorporates the following regiment and engineer squadrons.

The 3rd Field Engineer Squadron originated in Ottawa, Ontario on 1 July 1902, when the 'Ottawa Company of Engineers' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: 'No. 3 Field Company, CE' on 1 August 1904;Footnote 2 '3rd Field Company, CE' on 1 June 1905;Footnote 3 '3rd Field Company, RCE' on 29 April 1936;Footnote 4 '3rd (Reserve) Field Company, RCE' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 5 '3rd Field Company, RCE' on 15 October 1945;Footnote 6 and '3rd Field Squadron, RCE' on 19 June 1947.Footnote 7 On 1 September 1954 it was amalgamated with 'Headquarters, 10th Field Engineer Regiment, RCE' and '5th Field Squadron, RCE' (see below) retaining the same designation.Footnote 8 It was redesignated: '3rd Field Engineer Squadron (M)' on 21 May 1975;Footnote 9 and '3rd Field Engineer Squadron' on 9 July 1990.Footnote 11

Note:

The 3rd Field Company, CE was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 15 June 1920 (GO 89/20 and GO 128/30). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

Headquarters, 10th Field Engineer Regiment, RCE originated in St. Catharines, Ontario on 5 June 1947, when 'Headquarters, 10th Field Engineer Regiment, RCE' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 12 On 1 September 1954 it amalgamated with 3rd Field Squadron, RCE and 5th Field Squadron, RCE as above.

The 5th Field Squadron, RCE originated in Kingston, Ontario on 1 April 1910, when the '5th Field Company, CE' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 13 It was redesignated: '5th Field Company, RCE' on 29 April 1936;Footnote 14 '5th (Reserve) Field Company, RCE' on 24 February 1942;Footnote 15 '5th Field Company, RCE' on 15 January 1946;Footnote 16 and '5th Field Squadron, RCE' on 19 June 1947.Footnote 17 On 1 September 1954 it amalgamated with Headquarters, 10th Field Engineer Regiment, RCE and 3rd Field Squadron, RCE as above.

Notes:

The 5th Field Company, CE was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 15 June 1920 (GO 89/20 and GO 128/30). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37.

The 5th Field Company, RCE was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 3 January 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 62/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the squadron.

Headquarters Location

Ottawa, Ontario

Operational history

The First World War

The 5th Field Company was mobilized for active service on 6 August 1914 for local protective duties and engineer services in St. Jean and Valcartier, Quebec.Footnote 18

The Second World War

The 3rd (Reserve) Field Company mobilized the '3rd Field Company, RCE, CASF' for active service on 1 September 1939.Footnote 19 It embarked for Britain in December 1939. The company participated on the landings at Spitzbergen in August 1941, and in Sicily in July and Italy in September of 1943 as part of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division. The unit landed in France in March 1945 on its way to the North West Europe theatre of operations in which it served until the end of the war.Footnote 20 The overseas company was disbanded on 15 October 1945.Footnote 21

The 5th (Reserve) Field Company mobilized the '5th Field Company, RCE., CASF' for active service on 24 February 1942.Footnote 22 It embarked for Britain in July 1943. The company landed at Normandy as part of 1st Canadian Army Troops in June 1944 and continued service in the North West Europe theatre of operations until the end of the war.Footnote 23 The overseas company was disbanded on 15 January 1946.Footnote 24

PDF version, 19.5 KB

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: