3rd Field Engineer Regiment
The official lineage of the 3rd Field Engineer Regiment.
Branch camp flag
This Reserve Force regiment originated in Montréal, Quebec on 15 June 1920, when the '4th Divisional Engineer Headquarters, CE' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: '4th Divisional Engineer Headquarters, RCE' on 29 April 1936;Footnote 2 'Headquarters, 4th District Engineers, RCE' on 15 December 1936;Footnote 3 'Headquarters, 4th (Reserve) District Engineers, RCE' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 4 'Headquarters, RCE, 3rd Division' on 1 April 1946;Footnote 5 'Headquarters, 3rd Field Engineer Regiment, RCE' on 19 June 1947;Footnote 6 '3rd Field Engineer Regiment (M)' on 21 May 1975;Footnote 7 and '3rd Field Engineer Regiment' on 4 September 1992.Footnote 9
GO 157 of 3 September 1912 authorized the appointment of a lieutenant-colonel as 'Commanding Divisional Engineers' for the 4th Division. This was a staff appointment and does not constitute authority for the organization of a headquarters unit.
The 4th Divisional Engineer Headquarters, CE was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 November 1930 (GO 128/30). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).
The 4th Divisional Engineer Headquarters, CE was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 April 1923 and reorganized the same day (GO 137/23). These changes were administrative and do not affect the lineage of the regiment.
The 4th Divisional Engineer Headquarters, CE was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 January 1935 and reorganized the same day (GO 31/35). These changes were administrative and do not affect the lineage of the regiment.
The Second World War
Details of the 4th District Engineers were called out on local service on 1 September 1939 at the district level only, as a temporary measure for about two weeks.Footnote 11
- Date modified: