9th Field Engineer Squadron
The official lineage of the 9th Field Engineer Squadron.
Branch camp flag
This Reserve Force squadron originated in Noranda, Quebec on 1 January 1940, when the '3rd Pioneer Battalion, RCE' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: '3rd (Reserve) Pioneer Battalion, RCE' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 2 '3rd (Reserve) Battalion, RCE' on 15 May 1941;Footnote 3 '9th Field Company, RCE' on 1 April 1946;Footnote 4 '9th Field Squadron, RCE' on 19 June 1947;Footnote 5 '9th Independent Field Squadron' on 30 June 1949;Footnote 6 '9th Field Squadron, RCE' on 1 September 1954;Footnote 7 '9th Field Engineer Squadron (M)' on 21 May 1975;Footnote 8 and '9th Field Engineer Squadron' on 4 February 1993.Footnote 11
No lineal connection with '3rd Battalion, RCE, CASF' of 1941- 1946; '9th Field Company, RCE, CASF' of 1940-1941 (it was redesignated in 1941 as 'No. 1 Canadian Base Units Construction Company, RCE, CASF' and disbanded in 1945 as 'No. 5 Artizan Works Company, RCE, CASF' ); or '9th Field Squadron, RCE, CASF' of 1941-1946.
The Second World War
The 3rd Pioneer Battalion contributed, at least in part, in the mobilization of the '3rd Pioneer Battalion, RCE, CASF' for active service overseas on 24 May 1940.Footnote 14 The unit was redesignated '3rd Battalion, RCE, CASF' on 2 November 1940Footnote 15 and absorbed by the '4th Battalion, RCE, CASF' on 15 May 1941,Footnote 16 prior to its embarkation to Britain in September of 1941.Footnote 17
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: