Military Engineering Branch
The official lineage of the Military Engineering Branch.
Within a wreath of maple leaves Or a torteaux charged in the centre with a beaver Or and edged by a riband Azure which is itself edged and inscribed with the words "ENGINEERS . GENIE . CANADA" Or below upon a scroll Azure edged and inscribed with the word "UBIQUE" Or the whole ensigned by the Royal Crown proper.
The beaver has long been used by engineers as it is an animal noted for its skill in building. "ENGINEERS . GENIE . CANADA" is a form of the branch title and "UBIQUE" is the motto of the branch.
Corps of royal Engineers
Branch camp flag
The motto "UBIQUE" was granted as an honorary distinction to 'take the place of all past and future battle honours and distinctions gained in the field'.Footnote 1
Gagetown, New Brunswick
The Military Engineering Branch originated on 1 July 1903, when the 'Canadian Engineers Corps' of the Permanent Active Militia was authorized to be formed.Footnote 2 It was redesignated 'The Royal Canadian Engineers' on 1 February 1904.Footnote 3 Non Permanent Active Militia engineer companies had existed at least as early as 1860,Footnote 4 and they were collectively referred to as 'Canadian Engineers' from 1 August 1904.Footnote 5 The Permanent component was redesignated 'The Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers';Footnote 6 and the Non Permanent component 'The Corps of Canadian Engineers' on 1 March 1932.Footnote 7 The Non Permanent component was redesignated, and the entire corps designated as 'The Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers' on 29 April 1936.Footnote 8 It was redesignated 'The Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers' on 29 September 1952.Footnote 9 The Corps was amalgamated after Unification with Royal Canadian Air Force construction engineer personnel to form the 'Military Engineering Branch' on 27 August 1971.Footnote 12
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: