The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's)

The official lineage of The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's) infantry regiment.

Badge

Colonel-in-Chief: Her Majesty The Queen

Badge

Description

A torteau charged with a leopard's face Or and environed by a wreath of thistles proper, overall an annulus Azure edged and inscribed ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND and CANADA in letters Or surmounted in chief by the Royal Crown proper and in base by two scrolls Azure edged and inscribed ALBAINN and GU-BRATH in letters Or.

Symbolism

The Crown represents service to the Sovereign. The wreath of thistles (the national flower of Scotland), here, in the shape of a maple leaf representing service to Canada, is a common device among badges of highland infantry regiments. The leopard's face is based on the crest of Lieutenant-Colonel William Alexander Logie, the regiment's first commanding officer. "ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND CANADA" is a form of the regimental title and "ALBAINN GU-BRATH" is the motto of the regiment.

Motto

ALBAINN GU-BRATH (Scotland forever)

March

“The Campbells are Coming”

Alliance

British Army

The Royal Regiment of Scotland

Regimental colour

Regimental colour

Camp flag

Camp flag

Battle honours

South African War

SOUTH AFRICA, 1899-1900.

The First World War

MOUNT SORREL; SOMME, 1916, '18; Flers-Courcelette; Thiepval; Ancre Heights; ARRAS, 1917, '18; Vimy, 1917; HILL 70; YPRES, 1917; Passchendaele; AMIENS; Scarpe, 1918; Drocourt-Quéant; HINDENBURG LINE; Canal du Nord; Cambrai, 1918; PURSUIT TO MONS; FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1915-18.

The Second World War

FALAISE; Falaise Road; St. Lambert-sur-Dives; The Seine, 1944; Moerbrugge; THE SCHELDT; Breskens Pocket; The Lower Maas; Kapelsche Veer; THE RHINELAND; The Hochwald; Veen; Friesoythe; Küsten Canal; Bad Zwischenahn; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944-1945.

Lineage

This Reserve Force regiment originated on 1 September 1903 and incorporates the following regiment and machine gun battalion.

The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's) originated in Hamilton, Ontario on 1 September 1903, when the '91st "Highlanders"' were authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: '91st Regiment Canadian Highlanders' on 2 July 1904;Footnote 2 'The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada' on 1 May 1920;Footnote 3 'Princess Louise's (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) of Canada' on 15 October 1920;Footnote 4 and 'The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's)' on 15 June 1927.Footnote 5 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated with the '3rd Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' (less 'C Company') (see below) and redesignated 'The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's) (Machine Gun)'.Footnote 6 It was redesignated: '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's)' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 7 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's)' on 1 February 1941;Footnote 8 and 'The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's)' on 15 February 1946.Footnote 9

Notes:

Upon redesignation as The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada on 1 May 1920 (see above), it was organized as a three battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (91st Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Battalion (19th Battalion, CEF) and 3rd Battalion (173rd Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve units were disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 October 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 232/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's) were disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 29/37). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

The '3rd Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' originated in Hamilton, Ontario on 1 June 1919, when the '3rd Machine Gun Brigade, CMGC' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 10 It was redesignated the '3rd Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC' on 15 September 1924.Footnote 11 On 15 December 1936, it was amalgamated (less 'C Company') with 'The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's)', as above.

Notes:

The 3rd Machine Gun Brigade, CMGC was authorized a Reserve order of battle counterpart on 1 June 1919 (GO 104/20). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).

The 3rd Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC was disbanded for the purpose of amalgamation on 14 December 1936 and reorganized the next day (GO 29/37). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.

On 15 December 1936, "C" Company, 3rd Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC was amalgamated with 'The Dufferin and Haldimand Rifles, now the '56th Field Artillery Regiment, RCA' (GO 29/37).

The perpetuation of the 3rd Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC (1919- 1936) was assigned to The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's) (Machine Gun) (GO 76/37).

Perpetuations

'19th' and '173rd "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'; and '3rd Battalion, CMGC, CEF'

Headquarters Location

Hamilton, Ontario

Operational history

The First World War

The 19th Battalion, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '19th Battalion, CEF', Footnote 12 embarked for Great Britain on 13 May 1915. Footnote 13 It disembarked in France on 15 September 1915, Footnote 14 where it fought as part of the 4th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war. Footnote 15 The battalion was disbanded on 15 September 1920. Footnote 16

The 173rd Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '173rd "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',17 embarked for Great Britain on 14 November 1916. Footnote 18 It provided reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field until 4 January 1917, when its personnel were absorbed by the '2nd Reserve Battalion, CEF'. Footnote 19 The battalion was disbanded on 1 September 1917. Footnote 20

The '3rd Battalion, CMGC, CEF', which was organized in France, was formed on 23 March 1918. Footnote 21 It provided machine gun support to the 3rd Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war. Footnote 22 The battalion was disbanded on 15 November 1920.Footnote 23

The Second World War

Details from the regiment were called out on service on 26 August 1939 and then placed on active service on 1 September 1939, under the designation 'The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's) (Machine Gun), CASF (Details)', for local protection duties.Footnote 24 The details were formed as an active service battalion and designated 'The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's), CASF' on 15 August 1940.Footnote 25 It was redesignated: '1st Battalion, The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's) (Machine Gun), CASF' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 26 and '1st Battalion, The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's), CASF' on 1 February 1941.Footnote 27 It served in Jamaica on garrison duty from 10 September 1941 to 20 May 1943,Footnote 28 and embarked for Great Britain on 21 July 1943.Footnote 29 On 26 July 1944, it landed in France as part of the 10th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian Armoured Division, and it continued to fight in North West Europe until the end of the war.Footnote 30 The overseas battalion was disbanded on 15 February 1946.Footnote 31

PDF version, 1.6 MB

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: