The Canadian Grenadier Guards
The official lineage of The Canadian Grenadier Guards infantry regiment.
Colonel-in-Chief: Her Majesty The Queen
On a grenade enflamed of seventeen points, two monograms of the letters ER respectant, ensigned by the Royal Crown and above the word CANADA, all Or.
The crown and cypher customarily change with each succeeding monarch and they represent service to the Sovereign. The grenade, named for its similarity to a pomegranate, was a small bomb composed simply of a hollow iron ball filled with explosive and detonated with a simple fuse. It gave rise to a type of infantryman called a Grenadier who was specially trained and equipped for throwing grenades.
NULLI SECUNDUS (Second to none)
"Grenadiers Slow March" (also played in quick time when entering camp or barracks)
Each company of the regiment have their own Company Badge which is borne in rotation in the centre of the Regimental Colour.
The War of 1812
DEFENCE OF CANADA – 1812-1815 – DÉFENSE DU CANADA; CHÂTEAUGUAY
The non-emblazonable honorary distinction DEFENCE OF CANADA – 1812-1815 – DÉFENSE DU CANADA
South African War
SOUTH AFRICA, 1899-1900.
The First World War
YPRES, 1915,'17; FESTUBERT, 1915; MOUNT SORREL; SOMME, 1916; Ancre Heights; Ancre, 1916; ARRAS, 1917, '18; Vimy, 1917; HILL 70; Passchendaele; AMIENS; Scarpe, 1918; Drocourt-Quéant; HINDENBURG LINE; Canal du Nord; VALENCIENNES; SAMBRE; FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1915-18.
The Second World War
FALAISE; Falaise Road; The Laison; Chambois; THE SCHELDT; The Lower Maas; THE RHINELAND; The Hochwald; Veen; Twente Canal; Bad Zwischenahn; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944-1945.
This Reserve Force regiment originated on 17 November 1859 and incorporates the following regiments.
The Canadian Grenadier Guards originated in Montreal, Quebec on 17 November 1859, when the 'First Battalion Volunteer Militia Rifles of Canada' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated 'The First (or Prince of Wales's) Regiment of Volunteer Rifles of Canadian Militia' on 7 September 1860.Footnote 2 On 2 May 1898, it was amalgamated with the '6th Battalion "Fusiliers"' (see below) and redesignated the '1st Battalion "Prince of Wales' Regiment Fusiliers"'.Footnote 3 It was redesignated: '1st Regiment "Prince of Wales' Fusiliers"' on 8 May 1900;Footnote 4 '1st Regiment Canadian Grenadier Guards' on 29 December 1911;Footnote 5 'The Canadian Grenadier Guards' on 29 March 1920;Footnote 6 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Canadian Grenadier Guards' on 7 November 1941;Footnote 7 'The Canadian Grenadier Guards' on 15 February 1946;Footnote 8 'The Canadian Grenadier Guards (6th Battalion, The Canadian Guards)' on 1 September 1954;Footnote 9 and 'The Canadian Grenadier Guards' on 1 August 1976.Footnote 10
The 1st Regiment "Prince of Wales' Fusiliers were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 1 February 1911 (GO 18/11) and reorganized on 29 December 1911 (GO 39/12). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
Upon redesignation as The Canadian Grenadier Guards on 29 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (87th Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle, and the 2nd Battalion (245th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).
The Canadian Grenadier Guards were disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 September 1920 and reorganized the same day (GO 232/20). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
The 6th Battalion "Fusiliers" originated in Montréal, Quebec on 31 January 1862, when the '6th Battalion Volunteer Militia Rifles, Canada' was authorized to be formed.Footnote 11 It was redesignated: 'Sixth Battalion Volunteer Militia, Canada, or "Hochelaga Light Infantry"' on 5 June 1863;Footnote 12 '6th Battalion "Hochelaga Fusiliers"' on 3 December 1875;Footnote 13 and '6th Battalion "Fusiliers"' on 28 January 1876.Footnote 14 On 2 May 1898, it was amalgamated with 'The First (or Prince of Wales's) Regiment of Volunteer Rifles of Canadian Militia', as above.
‘1st Militia Light Infantry Battalion’, ‘2nd Battalion, Select Embodied Militia’, ‘Corps of Canadian Voyageurs’, ‘Montreal Incorporated Volunteers’, ‘Montreal Militia Battalion’, ‘Provincial Commissariat Voyageurs’, ‘1st Battalion (City of Montreal) “British Militia” (1812-15)’,'87th' and '245th "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'
The Fenian Raids
The First Regiment of Volunteer Rifles of Canadian Militia was called out on active service on 8 March 1866. The battalion, which served on the South-eastern frontier, was removed from active service on 31 March 1866.Footnote 15
The Sixth Battalion Volunteer Militia, Canada was called out on active service from 8 to 31 March and from 1 to 22 June 1866. The battalion served on the South-eastern frontier.Footnote 16
The First Regiment of Volunteer Rifles of Canadian Militia was called out on active service on 24 May 1870. The battalion, which served on the South-eastern frontier, was removed from active service on 31 May 1870.Footnote 17
The Sixth Battalion Volunteer Militia, Canada was called out on active service on 24 May 1870. The battalion, which served on the South-eastern frontier, was removed from active service on 31 May 1870.Footnote 18
South African War
The regiment contributed volunteers for the Canadian Contingents during the South African War.Footnote 19
The First World War
Details of the regiment were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protection duties.Footnote 20
The 87th Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '87th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 21 embarked for Britain on 23 April 1916.Footnote 22 It disembarked in France on 12 August 1916, where it fought as part of the 11th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war.Footnote 23 The battalion was disbanded on 30 August 1920.Footnote 24
The 245th Battalion, which was authorized on 15 July 1916 as the '245th "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 25 embarked for Britain on 3 May 1917.Footnote 26 It was absorbed by the '23rd Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 14 May 1917 to provide reinforcements to the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 27 The battalion was disbanded on 17 July 1917.Footnote 28
The Second World War
The regiment mobilized 'The Canadian Grenadier Guards, CASF' for active service on 24 May 1940.Footnote 29 It was redesignated the '1st Battalion, The Canadian Grenadier Guards, CASF' on 7 November 1940.Footnote 30 It was converted to armour and redesignated: '22nd Armoured Regiment (The Canadian Grenadier Guards), CAC, CASF' on 26 January 1942;Footnote 31 and '22nd Armoured Regiment (The Canadian Grenadier Guards), RCAC, CASF' on 2 August 1945.Footnote 32 It embarked for Britain on 25 September 1942.Footnote 33 On 26 July 1944, it landed in France as a unit of the 4th Armoured Brigade, 4th Canadian Armoured Division, and it continued to fight in North West Europe until the end of the war.Footnote 34 The overseas regiment was disbanded on 15 February 1946.Footnote 35
On 1 June 1945, a second Active Force component of the regiment was mobilized for service in the Pacific theatre of operations under the designation '22nd Canadian Tank Battalion (The Canadian Grenadier Guards), CAC, CASF'.Footnote 36 It was redesignated '22nd Canadian Tank Battalion (The Canadian Grenadier Guards), RCAC, CASF' on 2 August 1945.Footnote 37 The battalion was disbanded on 1 November 1945.Footnote 38
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: