The Lake Superior Scottish Regiment
The official lineage of The Lake Superior Scottish Regiment infantry regiment.
Argent on a maple leaf Azure a beaver couchant on a log proper all within an annulus Azure fimbriated and inscribed THE LAKE SUPERIOR SCOTTISH REGIMENT in letters Argent ensigned by the Royal Crown proper and environed by twelve maple leaves Gules issuant from a scroll Azure fimbriated and inscribed INTER PERICULA INTREPIDI in letters Or.
The maple leaves and beaver represent service to Canada, and the crown, service to the Sovereign. The blue of maple leaf on a white disc represents the waters of Lake Superior. "THE LAKE SUPERIOR SCOTTISH REGIMENT" is the regimental title and "INTER PERICULA INTREPIDI" is the motto of the regiment.
INTER PERICULA INTREPIDI (Fearless in the face of danger)
"The Highland Laddie"
The Royal Anglian Regiment
The First World War
YPRES, 1915, 17; FESTUBERT, 1915; MOUNT SORREL; SOMME, 1916; Flers-Courcelette; Ancre Heights; ARRAS, 1917, '18; Vimy, 1917; HILL 70; Passchendaele; AMIENS; Scarpe, 1918; Drocourt-Quéant; HINDENBURG LINE; Canal du Nord; Cambrai, 1918; VALENCIENNES; FRANCE AND FLANDERS, 1915-18.
The Second World War
FALAISE; Falaise Road; The Laison; Chambois; THE SCHELDT; The Lower Maas; THE RHINELAND; The Hochwald; Veen, Twente Canal; Friesoythe; Küsten Canal; Bad Zwischenahn; NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1944-1945.
This Reserve Force regiment originated in Port Arthur, Ontario on 3 July 1905, when a "regiment of infantry" was authorized to be formed.Footnote 1 It was redesignated: '96th The Lake Superior Regiment' on 1 December 1905;Footnote 2 'The Lake Superior Regiment' on 12 March 1920;Footnote 3 '2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Lake Superior Regiment' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 4 'The Lake Superior Regiment (Motor)' on 1 April 1946;Footnote 5 'The Lake Superior Scottish Regiment (Motor)' on 29 June 1949;Footnote 6 and 'The Lake Superior Scottish Regiment' on 11 April 1958.Footnote 7
Upon redesignation as The Lake Superior Regiment on 12 March 1920 (see above), it was organized as a two battalion regiment with the 1st Battalion (52nd Battalion, CEF) on the Non Permanent Active Militia order of battle and the 2nd Battalion (94th Battalion, CEF) on the Reserve order of battle. The designation of the 2nd Battalion was changed to '2nd Battalion (141st Battalion, CEF)' on 1 September 1921 (GO 246/21). The reserve unit was disbanded on 14 December 1936 (GO 3/37).
The Lake Superior Regiment was disbanded for the purpose of reorganization on 15 July 1921 and reorganized the same day (GO 246/21). This change was administrative and does not affect the lineage of the regiment.
'52nd' and '141st "Overseas" Battalion(s), CEF'
Thunder Bay, Ontario
The First World War
Details of the 96th The Lake Superior Regiment were placed on active service on 6 August 1914 for local protective duty.Footnote 8
The 52nd Battalion, which was authorized on 7 November 1914 as the '52nd Battalion, CEF',Footnote 9 embarked for Britain on 23 November 1915.Footnote 10 It disembarked in France on 21 February 1916, where it fought as part of the 9th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war.Footnote 11 The battalion was disbanded on 30 August 1920.Footnote 12
The 141st Battalion, which was authorized on 22 December 1915 as the '141st "Overseas" Battalion, CEF',Footnote 13 embarked for Britain on 29 April 1917.Footnote 14 Its personnel were absorbed by the '18th Reserve Battalion, CEF' on 7 May 1917, to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field.Footnote 15 The battalion was disbanded on 17 July 1917.Footnote 16
The Second World War
The regiment mobilized 'The Lake Superior Regiment, CASF' for active service on 24 May 1940.Footnote 17 It was redesignated: '1st Battalion, The Lake Superior Regiment, CASF' on 7 November 1940;Footnote 18 and '1st Battalion, The Lake Superior Regiment (Motor), CASF' on 26 January 1942.Footnote 19 It embarked for Britain on 22 August 1942.Footnote 20 On 26 and 27 July 1944, it landed in France as part of the 4th Armoured Brigade, 4th Canadian Armoured Division, and it continued to fight in North West Europe until the end of the war.Footnote 21 The overseas battalion was disbanded on 15 February 1946.Footnote 22
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: