The official lineage of HMCS Carleton extant commissionned ship.
Barry wavy of eight Argent and Azure the crest from the Arms of Sir Guy Carleton, Baron Dorchester which is "A dexter arm embowed and naked at the elbow the shirt sleeve folded above the elbow Argent and vested Gules; the hand grasping an arrowin bend sinister point downwards proper."
Although the division was named after the British schooner HMS Carleton (Battle of Valcour Island, 11 October 1776), there is no doubt that the original ship was named in honour of Sir Guy Carleton who is accredited with having saved Canada for the British in the defeat of Montgomery and Arnold at Quebec, New Year's Eve 1775-1776. Placing the Carleton crest upon the field of heraldic water indicates connection with the sea.
VINCEMUS ARMIS (With these arms we shall conquer)
Scarlet and White
Pre-The First World War
LAKE CHAMPLAIN, 1776.
Perpetuates, by right of continuous unbroken service from the Royal Canadian Navy, HMS Carleton from the Royal Navy. This perpetuation cannot be passed on to a new construction.
First of Name
- Shore establishment.
- Naval Reserve Division, Ottawa, Ontario.
- Commissioned as a tender to HMCS Bytown 1 November 1941.Footnote 1
- Paid off 21 May 1942 and amalgamated with HMCS Bytown.Footnote 2
- Recommissioned 23 November 1942.Footnote 3
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: