About Service Canada

What is Service Canada?

Service Canada is your easiest way to access services from the federal government. In many communities, we also provide you access to services from your provincial or municipal government as well.

You may access Government of Canada services in either English or French by the following three ways:

  • CALL: On the telephone, using our toll-free line: 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232), or if you are hearing-impaired, you may call ourTTY(teletypewriter) line at 1-800-926-9105.
  • CLICK: On the internet, via our Web site: servicecanada.gc.ca.
  • VISIT: In person, at one of more than 320 Service Canada Centres across the country, or at one of our 96 community outreach and mobile locations. You can find a list of all our offices and outreach locations under “Find a Service Canada office” at servicecanada.gc.ca, or by calling 1 800 O-Canada.

Who uses Service Canada?

All Canadian residents can contact Service Canada for information on programs and services available through the Government of Canada. Here are just a few examples of information you may access in person, on the telephone, or on the internet:

What kind of service can I expect?

  • We protect your personal information. Any information you provide is used only by our officials for the purposes intended. We do not disclose the information to any party inside or outside the federal government unless authorized by law.
  • We provide service in either of Canada’s two official languages: English or French. In a number of communities, we are piloting a Multi-Language Service Initiative to ensure Aboriginal people and newcomers receive information about government benefits and services in their native tongue. Initially, Service Canada will offer information on Government of Canada services and benefits in 12 foreign and 8 Aboriginal languages.

What kind of information and/or documents do I need to apply for government benefits?

Depending on your situation, you may need the following documents:

  • Proof of Citizenship, Indian Status Card or Landed Immigrant Status
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Yearly income Statement
  • Record of Employment
  • Social Insurance Number

This list represents just a few of the documents that you may have to provide. Depending on your needs, other documents may be required.

How can I get more information?

This is general information, offered as a convenience only. For more information on Service Canada in English and French and to find out how to apply for benefits, contact us:

Call: 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232) | TTY: 1-800-926-9105
Click: servicecanada.gc.ca
Visit: a Service Canada Centre

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: