Hazardous weather: Important notice

The Government of Canada is committed to helping Canadians affected by wildfires.

Applying for Employment Insurance

Affected workers are encouraged to apply for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits online or in person, as soon as possible, even without a Record of Employment.

You will need your Social Insurance Number (SIN) to apply for EI benefits. If you do not remember your SIN, you can visit a Service Canada office with identification to get a confirmation of your SIN.

You will need to provide a mailing address and a residential address to complete your application and for Service Canada to process it.

  • Provide a mailing address where you can receive mail (friend, family, temporary shelter, etc.). You can update this address later.
  • Provide your usual residential address (even if you are temporarily living somewhere else due to the wildfires).

Reference code

A special reference code has been put in place to allow Service Canada to process EI claims related to wildfires in Western Canada and the territories.

In your application, you will be asked: Were you given a reference code to submit with this application? Answer YES and enter the reference code for your province or territory:

Wildfire reference codes:

  • British Columbia: 5986015986598600
  • Alberta: 4812014812201800
  • Saskatchewan and Manitoba: 4317014317431700
  • Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut: 4813014813481300

For more information

Affected workers can also access services by calling 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232), visiting a nearby Service Canada office or using the Government of Canada Benefits Finder.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: