Hazardous weather: Important notice
The Government of Canada is committed to helping Canadians affected by flooding and wildfires.
Applying for Employment Insurance
You will need your Social Insurance Number (SIN) to apply for EI benefits. If you do not remember your SIN, you can visit a Service Canada office with identification to get a confirmation of your SIN.
You will need to provide a mailing address and a residential address to complete your application and for Service Canada to process it.
- Provide a mailing address where you can receive mail (friend, family, temporary shelter, etc.). You can update this address later.
- Provide your usual residential address (even if you are temporarily living somewhere else due to the flooding).
A special reference code has been put in place to allow Service Canada to process EI claims related to flooding and wildfires in Western Canada and the territories.
In your application, you will be asked: Were you given a reference code to submit with this application? Answer YES and enter the reference code for your province or territory:
Flooding reference codes:
- British Columbia: 5910015910002018
- Alberta: 4812014812002018
- Saskatchewan and Manitoba: 4317014317002018
- Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut: 4813014813002018
Wildfire reference codes:
- British Columbia: 5986015986598600
- Alberta: 4812014812201800
- Saskatchewan and Manitoba: 4317014317431700
- Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut: 4813014813481300
For more information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: