Hazardous weather: Important notice

From: Employment and Social Development Canada

Notice: Possible postal disruptions due to flooding and wildfires

Canadians affected by the flooding and wildfires are encouraged to visit Canada Post - Important Updates for the latest news and options available to them during possible postal disruptions in their area.

On this page

Canadians affected by flooding

The Government of Canada is committed to helping Canadians affected by flooding across the country. Consult Spring Floods 2019 for more information.

Canadians affected by wildfires

The Government of Canada is committed to helping Canadians affected by wildfires across the country. Consult Get prepared for more information on wildfires.

Employment Insurance

Applying for Employment Insurance

Affected workers are encouraged to apply for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits online or in person, as soon as possible, even if they do not have a Record of Employment.

You will need your Social Insurance Number (SIN) to apply for EI benefits. If you don't know your SIN, you can get it by presenting a piece of identification at a Service Canada office.

To process your application, Service Canada needs a mailing address and a residential address for you.

  • Provide a mailing address where you can receive mail (friend, family, temporary shelter, etc.). You can update this address later.
  • Provide your usual residential address (even if you are temporarily living somewhere else due to wildfires or flooding).

Important: To receive your Employment Insurance benefits, you must complete and file your report cards every two weeks

Reference codes


To help process claims affected by flooding, claimants must apply for benefits online using the following reference code:

  • Atlantic Region: 1640012019218211
  • Quebec Region: 2371011233218211
  • Ontario: 3515012019274315
  • Saskatchewan / Manitoba: 4317014317012019
  • Alberta: 4812014812012019
  • British Columbia: 5986015986012019
  • Northwest Territories/Yukon/Nunavut: 4813014813012019

To help process claims affected by wildfires, claimants must apply for benefits online using the following reference code:

  • Ontario: 3529012019061119
  • Alberta: 4812014812201900
  • British Columbia: 5986015986201900
  • Saskatchewan / Manitoba: 4317014317201900
  • Northwest Territories/Yukon/Nunavut: 4813014813201900

Money from government, the Red Cross and other relief allocations

You are not required to declare money you receive from government, the Red Cross, an insurance company or a charitable organization in your report cards. Emergency relief funds are not considered income for the purpose of Employment Insurance. All other amounts must be declared.

Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security

Evacuated residents of Alberta who receive physical pension cheques by mail will have their cheques held for pick-up at select Canada Post locations.

For a list of pick-up locations, please visit Canada Post - Important information for evacuated residents of Alberta.

Service Canada and passport offices

Visit the website to find out whether offices in your area have been affected by flooding or wildfires. If an office is closed, a notification will appear at the top of the page.

For more information

Affected workers can also access services by calling 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232), visiting the nearest Service Canada office or using the Government of Canada's Benefits Finder tool.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: