Share your thoughts on how to modernize federal labour standards to support good quality jobs
Current status: Open
Opened on January 11, 2018 and will close to input on January 31, 2018.
The Government of Canada is committed to promoting good quality jobs. One of the ways we’re doing this is by updating federal labour standards to make sure they reflect the realities of today’s workplaces and meet the needs of both employers and employees. Federal labour standards establish the basic rights of employees in federally regulated industries —such as banking, telecommunications and interprovincial and international transportation. These basic rights are related to:
- hours of work and wages;
- annual vacations, holidays and leaves;
- termination of employment, severance pay; and
- other working conditions.
How to participate
There are several ways to join the online conversation and participate in the online consultation:
Over the next few weeks we want you to tell us what it’s really like to work in Canada today. We want to know what a "good" job means to you. We want to hear from both employees and employers. What challenges are you facing? Have you found innovative ways to improve your working environment? Tell us about it. You can participate at any time until the consultation closes on January 31, 2018.
Complete our survey.
Tell us about your experiences in more detail. You can share your story in writing and/or with photos and videos.
Follow us on twitter and join the discussion #GoodQualityJobs. Include @Labour_ESDC in your tweet.
You can tell us about your ideas and experiences by email.
Who is the focus of this consultation
All Canadians are welcome to participate in this consultation.
What is the consultation about
The Government wants to know how you think federal labour standards should be updated. We also want to know:
- What makes a good quality job in Canada today?
- How common is precarious work in Canada today? What are the effects of precarious work on you and your family, or your organization?
- What types of labour protections are provided in your workplace?
- What are your experiences with job security or insecurity, and access to benefits?
- Which updates to federal labour standards would have the greatest impact on you?
- Which labour standards help promote good quality jobs?
The Government of Canada is updating federal labour standards to make sure they meet the requirements of modern Canadian workplaces and respond to the changing needs of both employers and employees.
When and where
Online: Modernizing Federal Labour Standards from January 11, 2018 to January 31, 2018.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: