Editing Client Details
Janine has created a record for Lara in the system, and since this is a convenient time to talk, she interviews the client to get additional information to enter in HIFIS.
Janine explains to the client that her information will be used for managing her file at the shelter. This may include the gathering of statistics for reports and billing. She also explains that there are some advantages to recording this information at the shelter. For example, if Lara ever loses her identification, the records in HIFIS can be used to help her apply for replacement identification.
From the Reception screen, Janine is able to access the Clients screen. After highlighting Lara, Janine selects the Client Details button. When the Client Details screen opens, she selects the edit button, then details and begins to enter as much information as she can about Lara.
When the Editing Client Details screen opens, Janine notices the following:
- The screen opens to the Identification Tab
- Veteran Status is red, indicating it is a mandatory field
- Citizenship/Immigration Status is red, indicating it is a mandatory field
- Aboriginal Indicator is also red – a mandatory field
Janine must complete the mandatory fields before she will be able to save the record.
Other Client Information
Janine notices other tabs such as:
- Physical Attributes tab – allows you to enter the physical description of the client
- Various Factors tab – information on why the client is homeless or at risk of homelessness. In this tab it is important to put information in the Contributing Factors and life events sections.
- Emergency Contact tab – to add an emergency contact
- Housing tab – to enter information about the client’s past housing
- Employment/Income tab – to record the client’s employment status, such as:
- Actively in training, Attending school, Actively looking for work
About Client Information
Shelters and service providers across Canada have their own client intake procedures. It is important to know which client information is required for your particular organization. Some shelters or service providers may also have additional Mandatory and Optional fields, depending upon the way HIFIS is set up by the Administrator.
Below you will find a Show me demonstration and a Let me try simulation. You may wish to try to complete Lara’s client details in the simulation, or you can watch the demonstration and then try it yourself.
Show me a demonstration of how to Edit Client Details.
Let me try to edit client details on my own.
The simulation uses screenshots from the live HIFIS application and creates a realistic environment where you can practice the skills you have learned.
As you move through the simulation, you will be provided with data to enter and feedback on your progress.
If you are unsure how to proceed, the simulation will help you with next steps.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: