Using the Shelter Map
To assign beds to Lara and Gerard, Janine must use her mouse to drag and drop the clients into an appropriate room with two open beds.
Choose an appropriate room for Lara and Gerard. Which room would you choose?
The Shelter Map Legend
Did you notice the Legend at the top of the Shelter Map?
Shelter Beds are highlighted with different colors.
- Pink Beds: These beds are inactive.
- White Beds: These are normal beds, available for use.
- Blue Beds: These beds are marked / pinned. This allows users to temporarily highlight a bed. A bed only stays marked / pinned while the shelter map is open, and the mark cannot be saved.
- Grey Beds: These beds are “overflow” beds, which are only used when all regular beds are full.
- Horizontal Stripes (any colour): These beds are mobile beds which can be placed in any room as required.
Holding your cursor over a bed reveals a description of the bed.
Which bed did you choose?
You may have chosen room 303 for Lara and Gerard, because it has a double bed for Lara and a twin bed for Gerard.
You could also have chosen room 201, since it also contains a double bed for Lara and a single bed for Gerard, plus an unavailable bed and a cot for a small child (which could be made inactive). Perhaps in your shelter room 303 is used as a last resort because it is noisy.
Choosing the right bed for the right situation depends on many factors. You may need to ask a more experienced staff member to learn what is usually done in your particular shelter for typical situations.
Below you will find a Show me demonstration and a Let me try simulation. You may wish to try to book in a family in the simulation, or you can watch the demonstration and then try it yourself.
Show me a demonstration of how to book in a family.
Let me try to start a book in a family in HIFIS on my own.
The simulation uses screenshots from the live HIFIS application and creates a realistic environment where you can practice the skills you have learned.
As you move through the simulation, you will be provided with data to enter and feedback on your progress.
If you are unsure how to proceed, the simulation will help you with next steps.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: