Barring a Client
Janine knows she may have to bar a client from the House of Hope and asks her co-worker Lisa to show her how to do it in HIFIS. But first, she has a few questions:
What are some reasons a client would be barred from a shelter?
Usually a client is barred for a serious violation of house rules or illegal activity. Some examples include: disruptive behaviour, use of contraband, threatening a staff member, or illegal activities.
How long can a client be barred from a shelter?
Clients can be barred from a shelter from several days to several years, depending on the severity of the infraction. It is always best to check with the Director or a senior staff member before barring a client.
Step by Step: Barring a client
- Navigate to the Barred screen from the Front Desk Menu
- Select the Add a New Record button
- Select the client you would like to bar using the Select Client button
- Enter the From and To dates
- Select the service provider(s) from which the client will be barred by double clicking on the name or choosing the All button to select the entire list of service providers.
- Enter a description explaining why the client is barred (if you want the description to be available in both English and French, you must type it in both languages)
- Save the record
Below you will find a Show me demonstration and a Let me try simulation. You may wish to try to bar a client in the simulation, or you can watch the demonstration and then try it yourself.
Show me a demonstration of how to Bar a Client from a service provider.
Let me try to bar a client in HIFIS on my own.
The simulation uses screenshots from the live HIFIS application and creates a realistic environment where you can practice the skills you have learned.
As you move through the simulation, you will be provided with data to enter and feedback on your progress.
If you are unsure how to proceed, the simulation will help you with next steps.
- Add New Record button
- Select Client button
Barring a Client: indicating in the software that a client is not permitted to receive services from one or more service providers.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: