Submit your application to become a member of the Canada’s Volunteer Awards’ National Advisory Committee
Members of the National Advisory Committee play a leading role in assessing top-ranked nominations. They advise and assist the Minister of Families, Children and Social Development on all matters related to the selection of award recipients and also support the promotion of the program throughout their term.
The Call for Applications is now open
National Advisory Committee Application: The deadline for submission of all applications is March 1, 2019 at 23:59 PST. Only complete applications received by this date will be considered.
Sign up now to receive updates and notifications about the Call for Applications and Canada’s Volunteer Awards.
Selected from hundreds of nominations, the 15 members of the Canada’s Volunteer Awards National Advisory Committee include individuals with experience working or volunteering with the not-for-profit, voluntary and private sectors.
The Committee is composed of members who are external to government, have extensive knowledge of volunteering and the volunteer sector and are reflective of Canada’s diversity. The Committee reports directly to the Minister of Families, Children and Social Development.
Roles and activities
During its mandate, the Canada’s Volunteer Awards National Advisory Committee will:
- engage its networks and support the promotion of the Canada’s Volunteer Awards program through stakeholders across Canada;
- make recommendations to the Minister relating to the procedural and promotional aspects of the program; and
- assess nominations and assist the Minister on all matters relating to the selection of award recipients.
- Individuals submitting an Application Questionnaire through this process must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents or protected persons as per the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
- Individuals submitting an Application Questionnaire through this process must be 18 years of age or older as of January 1, 2019
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following specific selection criteria:
- knowledge of the role and value of volunteering in addressing social needs of individuals, families and communities;
- experience working or volunteering with an organization to support community development (for example, municipality, health sector, social services sector, service provider, private, non-governmental or not-for-profit organization, university/college etc.);
- ability to communicate clearly in writing;
- ability to analyze information and make recommendations;
- ability to participate effectively in a diverse group in order to build consensus; and,
- available and willing to commit to participate as an Advisory Committee member over the entire period of their term.
- Ability to communicate in both official languages is an asset
- Have access to a computer and internet connection
To assist us in achieving a diverse National Advisory Committee, questions about your field of expertise, sector of affiliation, area of residence and demographic profile will also be asked. We welcome and encourage applications from a broad cross-section of experts, practitioners, leaders from the not-for-profit and private sectors, as well as members of various demographic groups.
Compensation, travel and accommodation
Committee members are volunteers and are not financially compensated while conducting the National Advisory Committee's business.
How to apply to become a member
You can submit an application questionnaire by creating an account or logging-in as an existing user
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: