Living with a Disability

The Government of Canada offers a variety of services and financial benefits to assist people with disabilities and their families. Service Canada has compiled a list to help you find benefits that may be right for you.

Apply for Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits

The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Disability Benefits are available to individuals who have made enough contributions to the Canada Pension Plan, and whose disability prevents them from working at any job on a regular basis. The disability must be long lasting or likely to result in death.

Apply for Benefits for your Children

If you receive Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits, there may also be benefits for your children. Children between 18 and 25 must be attending school full time at a recognized institution. Children under 18 do not have to be in school to be eligible.

To apply for a children's benefit, you must:

  • complete an application form;
  • provide proof of his date of birth; and
  • submit a form called "Declaration of Attendance at School or University".

Application kits for CPP children's benefits are available online. You can also contact Service Canada and an application kit will be sent to you.

For children between 18 and 25, you must complete the form when you first apply for a benefit, at the beginning of every new school year, and when you return to school after having left for a time. We may also ask you to complete one at the beginning of each semester if you are on a semester system or if your attendance starts in the middle of the traditional school year.

Find Tax Information for People with Disabilities

The Canada Revenue Agency provides information about tax credits and related topics for people with disabilities.

Apply for Disability Benefits for Veterans

The Disability Pensions program provides disability benefits to Canadian Forces or Merchant Navy veterans who have a permanent disability resulting from their military service. The program also provides disability pensions to serving and former members of the Canadian Forces and of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

For more information about Veterans Services, visit the Veterans Affairs Canada website.

Learn about the Registered Disability Savings Plan, Grant and Bond

The Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) helps Canadians with disabilities and their families save for the future. If you are a Canadian resident under age 60 and are eligible for the Disability Tax Credit, you are eligible for an RDSP. Earnings accumulate tax-free, until you take money out of your RDSP. Parents or guardians may open an RDSP for a minor. With written permission from the holder, anyone can contribute to the RDSP.

To help people save, the Government will deposit matching grants of up to $3,500 per year on eligible contributions. A bond of up to $1,000 per year will also be deposited into the RDSPs of low- and modest-income Canadians, even if no contribution is made.

For more information about the Registered Disability Savings Plan, Grant and Bond, visit the disability savings web page.

See all Life Events.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: