Additional amount of Canada Education Savings Grant - Eligibility

2. Eligibility

An additional amount of Canada Education Savings Grant (Additional CESG) is available to children from low- and middle-income families up to the end of the calendar year they reach the age of 17. During the calendar years in which they turn 16 and 17, there are CESG eligibility restrictions.

The Additional CESG is paid on contributions made into an RESP.

To be eligible for the Additional CESG, a child must:

  • be a resident of Canada
  • have a valid Social Insurance Number; and
  • the child is named in an RESP
  • be from a low- or middle-income family

A request must be made by the child’s primary caregiver (PCG) or, as of January 1, 2018, the PCG’s cohabiting spouse or common-law partner, in order to receive the Additional CESG.

Income levels

The A-CESG is based on adjusted income levels and adds either 10% or 20% on the first $500 of personal contributions contributed into an RESP. The Additional CESG could add:

  • $100, if the 2017 adjusted income is $45,916 or less ($500 x 20% = $100); or
  • $50, if the 2017 adjusted income is between $45,916 and $91,831 ($500 x 10% = $50)

Adjusted income limits are updated every year. You can find your adjusted income on your:

You can also call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-387-1193 with your tax or benefit statements. For security reasons, CRA will ask you questions about the RESP account before confirming your adjusted income.

Primary Caregiver

An eligible child’s PCG or, as of January 2018, their cohabiting spouse or common-law partner, must request the Additional CESG. The PCG or their cohabiting spouse or common-law partner's signature and Social Insurance Number are required when requesting the Canada Learning Bond and the Additional CESG on behalf of an eligible child.

A primary caregiver is the person who is in charge of a child’s care. That person also receives the Canada Child Benefit. In most cases, the mother is the primary caregiver.

If you opened an RESP and you are not the primary caregiver or their cohabiting spouse or common-law partner, then you must ask one of them to complete Annex B of the CESP application form in order for the child to receive the education savings incentives. If neither of them do this, the child cannot get the Additional CESG or the Canada Learning Bond.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: