Employment Insurance (EI) information in My Service Canada Account

The EI program will change on December 3, 2017. Changes include:

Caregiving benefits:

  • A new EI Family Caregiver benefit for adults of up to 15 weeks will be available for eligible caregivers to provide care to a critically ill or injured adult family member.
  • A new EI Family Caregiver benefit for children will be introduced to replace and enhance the Parents of critically ill children benefit. Up to 35 weeks of benefits will continue to be available, with eligibility expanded to a wider support network that includes immediate and extended family members, rather than only parents.
  • Access to EI caregiving benefits will be improved by allowing medical doctors and nurse practitioners to sign medical certificates.

Maternity/parental benefits:

  • Parents will be able to choose between standard (taken over 12 months) or extended (taken over 18 months) parental benefits.
  • Eligible pregnant workers will be able to receive EI maternity benefits earlier, up to 12 weeks before their due date, if they so choose.

If you consider applying to these benefits, please keep in mind that these changes will only be available starting on December 3, 2017, and they cannot be applied to existing employment insurance claims.

Updating EI information in My Service Canada Account

When you change your mailing address or direct deposit information using My Service Canada Account, it is updated immediately.

Payment information is updated the next business day once your report is processed. Processing normally occurs early evenings, Sunday through Thursday. Reports submitted before the processing time will be displayed in “View my payment information” the following business day. Therefore, if you file your report from Sunday to Thursday before our processing time, your payment information will be updated in “View my payment information” the next business day. However, if you file your report on Friday or Saturday, your payment information will appear on Monday.

Please note that statutory holidays can affect our processing schedule. Check under “Messages” on the My Service Canada Account home page for situations that may affect your payment.

“View my status and correspondence”

This link allows you to view messages and status information specific to your latest EI claim or past claims. Information is only available for EI claims filed after November 7, 2016.

Alert Me

The Alert Me feature is an optional notification service that sends an email to alert you when important new Employment Insurance (EI) claim information is available in your My Service Canada Account.

To register for Alert you must first have a My Service Canada Account (MSCA), as well as a valid email address. The “Register for Alert Me” link is available from the left-hand navigation menu on the “View my status and correspondence” and “View my past claims messages” pages within MSCA.

Alert Me emails are very generic and simply prompt you to log in to MSCA because you have new important EI claim information available. A maximum of one email alert is sent in a 24 hour period.

You can unsubscribe at any time by selecting “Unsubscribe from Alert Me” link on the “Manage my Alert Me profile” page, which is available from the left-hand navigation menu in “View my status and correspondence” or “View my past claim messages”.

As soon as you complete the unsubscribe process, a confirmation message is displayed and you will no longer receive email alerts. You can subscribe again to Alert Me at any time.

Information in “View my latest claim”

My Service Canada Account displays the information related to your current claim for EI benefits including the date it started, your benefit rate, the types of benefits paid and the number of weeks paid.

Viewing previous EI claim information on the “View my past claims” page

This page displays a list of your past EI claims. Choosing a particular claim will provide you with a summary of information related to that claim. We periodically remove old claim information from our system, usually after a seven year period. You may not be able to see past claim information if it is no longer on our system.

Change mailing address and / or telephone number

If you are an Employment Insurance claimant or have received EI benefits in the past year, you must let us know when you move and provide us with your new mailing address. This ensures that you do not experience undue delays in receiving benefits when they are payable and also ensures that we mail your T4E to the correct address for your tax return in the following year. To change your mailing address and/or telephone number, sign in to My Service Canada Account and select the “View / change my mailing address and telephone number” option under the “Change” tab. You will see the mailing address that is currently on your file. Select the “Change” button to update the necessary information.

If your residential address is different from your mailing address, call 1-800-206-7218 during business hours or go to the nearest Service Canada Centre, as it cannot be updated online.

Please ensure that your address information is always up to date.

Unable to access EI information after moving

If you are an Employment Insurance client and have recently moved, you must provide us with your new address and, you will also be required to update your province of residence in My Service Canada Account. To do this, select “View / Change my province of residence” under the Change tab and enter the correct province. This will ensure that you are always presented with your most recent EI Claim information

Direct deposit of EI payments

To have your EI payments deposited directly into your bank account, sign in to My Service Canada Account and select the “View/change my direct deposit” option under the “Change” tab. If you have not already provided your bank account information for direct deposit, a message indicating that you are not currently registered for direct deposit will be displayed. Follow the instructions provided in this message to register online for direct deposit.

Input future change in address

You can provide notification of a future address change of address up to 180 days in advance of the actual change of address. Once you are signed in to My Service Canada Account, select the “View / change my mailing address and telephone number” option under the Change tab and then choose the “My Future Mailing Address and Telephone Number Information” option. Enter the new information as well as the effective date and select “submit.” The information will be updated on the effective date.

Input future direct deposit information

Direct deposit information is updated immediately, and we cannot accept a change that will occur in the future.

Additional tax taken off of payments

If you would like to have additional tax taken off your payments, call 1-800-206-7218 during business hours or go to the nearest Service Canada Centre.

Social Insurance number not displayed in EI information

It is important to protect your Social Insurance Number (SIN) to prevent others from using it. At times, you may be accessing your information from a public site where others could see your personal information. For this reason, we do not display your SIN in My Service Canada Account.

View copy of EI report

If you complete your reports online or by telephone, you can view your report details by going through the “View my payment information” option under the “View / Print” tab. If you complete paper reports, this service cannot display your answers.

“Complete my report online” or “Apply for EI online”

For your convenience, we have included links to our more frequently used services;however, these services are not accessible from My Service Canada Account for security reasons and require that you leave MSCA. You will be required to log in to these services.

Maternity/paternity benefits from Quebec Parental Insurance Plan and MSCA under “Employment Insurance”

The EI information found in My Service Canada Account only refers to federal Employment Insurance programs. To obtain information on benefits paid from the Quebec Parental Insurance Plan, visit the Quebec Parental Insurance Plan site.

Language preference for written communication

In My Service Canada Account you can view or change the language you receive written communication from us. You can change your language preference from English to French and vice versa.

To change your language preference, sign in to My Service Canada Account and select the “View / change my preferred language for written communication” under the Change tab. You will see the information that is currently on your file. Select the “Continue” button to change your language preference.

Using eForms to Provide Information

If you are receiving EI Benefits you can provide information on:

  • an absence from Canada; or
  • a course or training program that you are attending or will be attending within the next 28 days.

Saving Draft eForms

If you are unable to complete your eForm, you can save a draft. A draft eForm will be available for 1 day (24 hours) from the time it was first saved. Only one draft per eForm is allowed at a time.

View previously submitted eForm

You can view and print eForms that have been submitted as of June 16, 2012 on your current and previous claims.

Absence from Canada and Training eForms are not being displayed

Currently, Out of Canada and Training eForms are not required for EI clients who applied for and/or are receiving one of the following types of Employment Insurance benefits:

  • Maternity
  • Compassionate Care
  • Parents of Critically Ill Children
  • Self-Employed Maternity
  • Self-Employed Compassionate Care
  • Self-Employed Parents of Critically Ill Children

However, if you wish to provide information other than Out of Canada or Training, you will need to contact us during business hours at 1-800-206-7218 or visit a Service Canada Centre near you.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: