My Service Canada Account user information
Secure personal information
Service Canada is committed to ensuring that your personal information is protected and that you have secure access to online information and services. We do not share your information with any third parties. Any information you provide is protected under the Privacy Act .
There are three main ways that we ensure the security of your transactions:
- The first level of security begins with our firewalls. Firewalls are a combination of hardware and software designed to securely separate the outside world from our internal computer systems.
- The second level of security is encryption. Encryption electronically scrambles the exchange of information between your computer and our computer. This minimizes the risk that outside parties will view or alter information being transmitted.
- The third level of security relates to our login process. To access our online services, you need to use a personal access code or an Employment Insurance (EI) access code. These codes, along with other personal information, ensure us that only clients whose identity is validated can access the information that relates them.
Name displayed in MSCA
The name we display on the My Service Canada Account home page is the one you supplied when you applied for your Social Insurance Number (SIN). If you have legally changed your name, you can correct or amend your SIN information.
Personal use only
You may not use this service on someone else's behalf because of confidentiality and privacy issues. This service is for personal use only. At present, we have no way of verifying third-party access online. We hope to be able to do so in the future.
If you have notified us that a registered trustee, guardian, or other legal representative is taking care of your affairs, that representative can conduct transactions on your behalf in person, by mail, or by telephone.
Service hours for MSCA
My Service Canada Account is available 24 hours a day every day, except for when system maintenance is taking place.
Changing your personal information for Employment Insurance clients – Updates to your mailing address, telephone number, and direct deposit information can only be accepted during the service times for your province or territory of residence, as indicated below:
- Atlantic Canada: from 6:00 a.m.to 9:00 p.m. Atlantic Standard Time (AST) Monday to Friday and from 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. AST Saturday and Sunday
- Quebec: from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) Monday to Friday and from 6:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST Saturday and Sunday
- Ontario: from 6:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) Monday to Friday, from 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EST Saturday, and from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Sunday
- Western Canada: from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Central Time (CT) Monday to Friday and from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (CT) Saturday and Sunday
Change of address
Changing your address on MSCA does not mean that all other Government of Canada departments will have your new address on file. As part of the security features of this service, only Service Canada will have the changes on file. You can use My Service Canada Account to update your address for Employment Insurance, the Canada Pension Plan, and Old Age Security. However, you will need to contact other departments with your new address information. For example, if you want to change your address for income tax purposes, you will have to contact the Canada Revenue Agency directly.
Use MSCA in a public place
If you are using My Service Canada Account on a shared computer in a public area (e.g., a public kiosk or a library), make sure you do not leave the computer unattended while using this service. It is also important to log out of the application, clear your browser's cache, and close down your browser before leaving the computer.
Keep your personal information secure
To ensure that others do not have access to your information, keep your personal information such as your Social Insurance Number, your access code, and your banking information confidential. It is also important to log out of the application, clear your browser's cache, and close down your browser before leaving the computer.
The log-out option is available on the top menu bar within each service.
To help protect your personal information, do not share your MSCA log-in credential (i.e., your user name and password), your EI access code, or your personal access code with anyone.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: