Canada Education Savings Grant - Eligibility
The Canada Education Savings Grant is available until the end of the calendar year in which the child turns 17, as long as:
- the child is a Canadian resident;
- the child has a valid Social Insurance Number;
- an RESP has been opened in their name; and
- a request is made for the grant.
Children who are 16 or 17 years old may be eligible to receive the Canada Education Savings Grant if at least one of the following conditions is met:
- a total minimum of $2,000 was contributed to (and not withdrawn from) the RESP of the child before the end of the calendar year they turned 15; or
- a minimum annual contribution of $100 was made to (and not withdrawn from) the RESP in at least four of the years before the end of the calendar year the child turned 15.
Important: To be eligible for the grant, you must start to save for your child’s RESP before the end of the calendar year in which they turn 15 years of age.
The calendar year is used to determine CESG eligibility, the amount of contributions made and the CESG room earned and used in the year.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: