Ruth Pipke: retired General Ledger and Systems Officer
“I kept things running from the business side so my colleagues could work to fulfill ECCC’s mandate. We were all part of the team.”
It takes a team of committed employees to ensure that Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) has the resources and supports to fulfill its mandate of protecting and conserving Canada’s natural heritage and ensuring a clean, safe and sustainable environment for present and future generations. For 39 years, Ruth Pipke was one of those dedicated employees working behind-the-scenes to meet business needs and keep ECCC running smoothly.
Before retiring recently, Ruth worked to balance the books and roll out administrative tools to employees, such as the Travel Expert System and Discoverer. This often meant offering direct support to colleagues, which Ruth thoroughly enjoyed.
Her diligence and hard work resulted in her nomination for a Public Service Award of Excellence, an accomplishment that made her proud.
To learn more about the work of Ruth’s branch, visit ECCC’s Public financial affairs and resources web site.
Here are a few random facts about Ruth:
- What was your first job? Washing shirts and laundry for a drycleaner in Edmonton.
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be? New Zealand.
- What are your hobbies? Gardening and reading.
- What is your favourite flavour of ice cream? Peanut Butter – Chocolate.
- How many pairs of shoes do you own? Shoes: 10, Sandals: at least 20 (I love summer).
- What form of public transportation do you prefer? (air, boat, train, bus, car, etc.) Air.
- What's your favorite zoo animal? Elephant.
- Summer or winter? Summer.
- What's your favorite holiday? Christmas.
- Do you love or hate rollercoasters? LOVE.
- What's your favorite movie? Star Wars – all except for the ones from the 90s.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: