Your mental health and well-being
As the current situation may create uncertainty, stress and anxiety, we encourage ECCC employees to take steps to care of their health during this time.
We all have access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at 1-800-268-7708 for additional support, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (TTY: 1-800-567-5803 for people with a hearing impairment). This service is available to you and members of your immediate family.
Tips to take care of yourself
- Get information from reliable sources, such as Canada.ca/coronavirus.
- Stay informed but follow news coverage about COVID-19 in moderation. Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories. It can be upsetting to hear about the crisis and see images repeatedly.
- Take care of your body. Take deep breaths, stretch or meditate.
- Looking for a guided meditation practice? Check out the Breath Break at Your Desk videos produced by the Privacy Council Office.
- Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise regularly, and get plenty of sleep.
- Make time to step back and consider how to take advantage of unexpected flexibility in your daily routine.
- Stay connected. Talk to friends or family about your feelings and concerns.
- Maintain healthy relationships and respect other people’s feelings and decisions.
- Show support and empathy to those dealing with difficult situations.
- Identify what is within your control and try to direct your energy towards what most worries you within your own control.
Resources for employees
The Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak and the necessary public health measures to contain its spread are creating stress for people and communities across Canada, including federal public servants and their families.
- How would you rate your current state of mental health? Take a self-assessment. (Wellness Together Canada)
- COVID-19: Managing your mental health in times of uncertainty (PDF) (EAP Newsletter, Volume 25.2)
- LifeSpeak: Nearly 1,000 videos and short training sessions on a variety of health and wellness topics presented by leading experts in their respective fields, including stress management, resilience, physical health and mental health.
- To access LifeSpeak, log on to canada.lifespeak.com and enter the group account password "canada".
- Mental health crisis support guide (PDF)
Resources for managers
As a leader, you will have any number of people depending on you for direction and emotional support in unsteady times. It is important to take care of yourself so the busyness doesn’t lead to burnout.
- Mental health crisis support guide for managers (PDF): how to support a colleague or employee who is struggling through a mental health crisis.
- 5 golden rules for managers (PDF): how to foster a healthy workplace.
- 6 tips to respond to employee anxiety about COVID-19 (Canadian Mental Health Association)
The Mental health and COVID-19 for public servants: Supporting employees and teams (TBS) site provides advice and resources for you to manage your team during these difficult times.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: