Taking and managing leave during COVID-19

The following guidance applies to employees of Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC).  

What type of leave should I use for COVID-19 vaccination appointments?

You are encouraged to discuss options with your manager. If you are unable to schedule an appointment outside of work hours, you can request paid time off. In My GCHR, submit your request as Other Paid > Medical Dental Appointment (code 698).
Other paid leave (699) should not be used for this purpose.

On this page

When to use Other paid leave (699)

TBS has updated its guidance regarding the use of Other paid leave (699). Effective November 9, 2020, Other paid leave (699) should be considered:

Consult TBS’s Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Employee illness and leave page for the full guidance. Be sure to read through the section If you need to take time off because of COVID-19 – you will find visual aids to help you go through the decision process for each eligible reason.

How to submit Other paid leave (699) in My GCHR

TBS has requested that all employees stop using the 'COVID Other' reason when submitting Other paid leave into My GCHR. This is not to be confused with the ‘Other’ option, which is for non-COVID related leave. Employees should select either family care, illness, technology or work limitations instead.

If you are unable to access the network or My GCHR, your manager/supervisor may submit the transaction(s) on your behalf.

  1. Submit a separate leave request for every period of other paid leave by COVID-19 sub-type
    • My GCHR > Main Menu > Self Service > Time Reporting > Report Time > Absence Request > Absence type: ‘Other Paid – Oth Pd – Other’
  2. Choose one of the following options from the Reason field:
    • COVID Family Care
    • COVID Illness
    • COVID High-Risk *New!
    • COVID Technology
    • COVID Work Limitation
    • Other
    • *The Other option is reserved for non-COVID-19 related Other paid leave. Employees selecting this option should provide additional details in the comment section.

  3. Ensure your leave request is sent to the proper authority.
    • Directors (leave requests of three consecutive days or less); or
    • DGs (leave requests of more than three consecutive days).
    • To manually select a different supervisor in My GCHR, select the magnifying glass beside the current supervisor ID and search by name:
      • Main Menu > Self Service > Time reporting > Report Time > Absence Request > Look Up Supervisor ID

Consult the technical questions and answers for more guidance when submitting leave into My GCHR.

Do you have multiple retroactive leave requests to submit?

Contact the HRMS service desk! Their agents will help you catch up by providing tips for submitting previous leave requests in My GCHR.

More leave-related guidance for managers

For more guidance on specific scenarios, as well as questions and answers regarding leave, managers should consult ECCC's COVID-19 Manager Guide (intranet). This guide serves as a complement to the Managers Hub, which brings together departmental guidance related to all COVID-19 related topics.

Directives for terms, casuals and students

While students, casual employees and term employees of less than three months are not eligible for Other paid leave (699), they may be eligible for the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit or Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit.

The latest news

Consult Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Employee illness and leave (TBS) for more information.

Who to call for help

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: