Taking and managing leave during COVID-19
The following guidance applies to employees of Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC).
What type of leave should I use for COVID-19 vaccination appointments?You are encouraged to discuss options with your manager. If you are unable to schedule an appointment outside of work hours, you can request paid time off. In My GCHR, submit your request as Other Paid > Medical Dental Appointment (code 698).
Other paid leave (699) should not be used for this purpose.
On this page
- When to use Other paid leave (code 699)
- How to submit Other paid leave (699) in My GCHR
- More leave-related guidance for managers
- Directives for terms, casuals and students
- The latest news
- Who to call for help
When to use Other paid leave (699)
TBS has updated its guidance regarding the use of Other paid leave (699). Effective November 9, 2020, Other paid leave (699) should be considered:
- on a case by case basis;
- after all options have been explored for remote work, flexible work hours (intranet) or alternate work (intranet); and
- other relevant paid leave, available through collective agreements or terms and conditions of employment, has been used (where appropriate).
- You should schedule this year’s vacation leave allotment, as it should be taken in the year it is earned. Scheduling it in advance means it is set aside and used for that purpose.
How to submit Other paid leave (699) in My GCHR
If you are unable to access the network or My GCHR, your manager/supervisor may submit the transaction(s) on your behalf.
- Submit a separate leave request for every period of other paid leave by COVID-19 sub-type
- My GCHR > Main Menu > Self Service > Time Reporting > Report Time > Absence Request > Absence type: ‘Other Paid – Oth Pd – Other’
- Choose one of the following options from the Reason field:
- COVID Family Care
- COVID Illness
- COVID High-Risk *New!
- COVID Technology
- COVID Work Limitation
*The Other option is reserved for non-COVID-19 related Other paid leave. Employees selecting this option should provide additional details in the comment section.
- Ensure your leave request is sent to the proper authority.
- Directors (leave requests of three consecutive days or less); or
- DGs (leave requests of more than three consecutive days).
- To manually select a different supervisor in My GCHR, select the magnifying glass beside the current supervisor ID and search by name:
- Main Menu > Self Service > Time reporting > Report Time > Absence Request > Look Up Supervisor ID
Consult the technical questions and answers for more guidance when submitting leave into My GCHR.
Do you have multiple retroactive leave requests to submit?
Contact the HRMS service desk! Their agents will help you catch up by providing tips for submitting previous leave requests in My GCHR.
More leave-related guidance for managers
Directives for terms, casuals and students
While students, casual employees and term employees of less than three months are not eligible for Other paid leave (699), they may be eligible for the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit or Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit.
The latest news
- COVID-19: Other Leave with Pay (699) guidance (ECCC October 26)
- Planning your vacation (Chief Human Resources Management Officer, August 7)
- Time to input your other paid leave (code 699) in My GCHR (ECCC, June 23)
- New section of the ECCC Pay and Leave guide: Other paid leave (code 699) (ECCC, May 21)
- Leave provisions and re-opening of schools and daycares (TBS, May 12)
- Updated guidance: Employee leave during the COVID-19 situation (Chief Human Resources Management Officer, April 20)
- Message from the Chief Human Resources Officer's Office (TBS, April 9)
- Students, casuals and terms under three months (TBS, March 19)
- Telework and flexible work arrangements, managing leave, travel (Deputy Ministers, March 16)
Consult Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Employee illness and leave (TBS) for more information.
Who to call for help
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: