Indigenous Guardians Pilot Program
In the 2017 Budget, the Government of Canada announced $25 million over four years to support an Indigenous Guardians Pilot Program. This program will provide Indigenous Peoples with greater opportunity to exercise responsibility in stewardship of their traditional lands, waters, and ice.
The Pilot Program supports Indigenous rights and responsibilities in protecting and conserving ecosystems, developing and maintaining sustainable economies, and continuing the profound connections between Canadian landscape and Indigenous culture.
The Pilot Program will inform a long-term approach for a potential National Indigenous Guardians Network.
Individual approach for First Nations, Inuit and Métis
The Pilot Program is being implemented jointly with First Nations, Inuit, and Metis using an individual approach that respects and recognizes the unique perspectives, rights, responsibilities and needs of Indigenous Peoples.
Indigenous communities, Indigenous Nations, governments, and representative organizations are eligible for funding under the Pilot Program.
The kinds of initiatives eligible for funding under the Pilot Program include:
- inventories and monitoring
- collection and gathering of Indigenous traditional knowledge
- conservation planning
- outreach and education
- best management land-use practice
- capacity building
- species management/restoration
- species protection
- species and habitat threat abatement
- habitat improvement
- habitat management for maintenance and improvement of ecosystem services
Application processes are being co-developed with Indigenous groups. Funding opportunities are likely to include both single and multi-year options. We will post details on the funding process, selection and assessment criteria, and timelines when available.
Early round of funding
With the aim of proceeding quickly with funding over the fall of 2018, the Pilot Program has provided funds to a number of guardian programs across the country. Proposals were sourced through individual groups’ expressions of interest, discussions with Indigenous groups and national Indigenous organizations, and relevant submissions received by other federal departments.
Map of funded programs
See the Indigenous Guardians Pilot Program map for more information on the funded programs.
For more information
For more information, please contact the Indigenous Guardians Pilot Program team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- News release on the ministerial announcement for the Indigenous Guardians Pilot Program
- Australian Indigenous Rangers Program
- Indigenous Participation in Protected Areas
- Parks Canada Indigenous Guardian and Watchmen Programs
- Nature United
- Indigenous Leadership Initiative
- Canada's Nature Legacy
- Indigenous Guardians Toolkit (from Nature United)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: