Magino Gold Mine Project: closed consultation
Current status: Closed
This consultation ran from November 2018 to July 2019.
We sought comments from Indigenous groups and the public on proposed amendments to the Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations (MDMER) for the Magino Gold Mine Project.
Prodigy Gold Inc. (the Proponent), a subsidiary of Argonaut Gold, is proposing to develop an open-pit gold mine located in Finan Township, approximately 10 kilometres (km) southeast of the Town of Dubreuilville and 40 km northeast of Wawa, Ontario.
The objective of the amendments is to authorize the use of the water bodies frequented by fish for mine waste disposal.
To offset the loss of fish and fish habitat due to the Project, the Proponent is required to develop and implement a Fish Habitat Compensation Plan.
Who was the focus of this consultation
- Indigenous peoples
- provincial, territorial and local governments
- industry stakeholders and association members
- non-governmental organizations
- general public
What we heard
During the face-to-face meetings we held with Indigenous communities impacted by the Project, no concerns were raised and communities expressed support for the Project and its potential local benefits. The majority of these communities followed up with letters reiterating their support and also indicating that they would like the Schedule 2 amendment process to conclude in a timely manner.
Two public sessions took place in November 2018 in Dubreuilville, ON and in Wawa, ON. Members of the public raised no concerns on the proposal.
Upon approval by the Governor in Council, a Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement will be published in the Canada Gazette, along with the amendments to Schedule 2 of the MDMER, and will include a more detailed summary of the consultations for this regulatory proposal.
- Regulations Amending the Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations
- Alternative Assessment Report (pdf prepared by the proponent)
- Fish Habitat Compensation Plan (pdf prepared by the proponent)
- Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations
- Fisheries Act
- Guidelines for the assessment of alternatives for mine waste disposal
- Approvals Process for metal mines impoundment areas
Environment and Climate Change Canada
Manager, Mining Section
Mining and Processing Division
351 boul. St-Joseph, 11th floor
Gatineau QC K1A 0H3
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: