Share your ideas: Blackwater Project
Current status: Open
Consultations are from June 9 2021 to July 8 2021.
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) is seeking comments on proposed amendments to Schedule 2 of the Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations (MDMER) for the Blackwater Project.
BW Gold LTD. (the Proponent), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Artemis Gold Inc., is proposing to develop an open-pit gold and silver mine located approximately 112 km southwest of Vanderhoof, BC.
The objective of the amendments is to authorize the use of the water bodies frequented by fish for mine waste disposal.
To offset the loss of fish and fish habitat due to the Project, the Proponent is required to develop and implement a Fish Habitat Compensation Plan.
Focus of this consultation
ECCC is consulting on the Alternatives Assessment report and the Fish Habitat Compensation Plan.
- Alternatives Assessment (PDF) (prepared by the proponent)
- Summary of the Alternatives Assessment (PDF) (prepared by the proponent)
- Fish Habitat Compensation Plan (PDF) (prepared by the proponent)
- Summary of the Fish Habitat Compensation Plan (PDF) (prepared by the proponent)
ECCC is also consulting on the potential application of the Streamlining the Approvals Process for Metal Mines with Tailings Impoundment Areas to reduce approval timelines of the regulatory amendments. This would exempt these proposed amendments from pre-publication in the Canada Gazette, Part I, and allow the amendments to proceed directly to final publication in the Canada Gazette, Part II.
How to participate
Send your comments to the address in the Contact us section below.
Email your comments to: email@example.com
To learn how we will protect your privacy during this consultation, please carefully review our privacy statement.
Copies of the full reports can be requested by contacting us at the email address provided below.
Who is the focus of this consultation
ECCC would like to hear from:
- Indigenous peoples
- provincial, territorial and local governments
- industry stakeholders and association members
- non-governmental organizations
- general public
- Streamlining the Approvals Process for Metal Mines with Tailings Impoundment Areas
- Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations
- Fisheries Act
- Guidelines for the assessment of alternatives for mine waste disposal
- Artemis Gold Inc.
Environment and Climate Change Canada
Mining and Processing Division
351 boul. St-Joseph, 11th floor
Gatineau QC K1A 0H3
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: