Share and view ideas: Proposed Equivalency Agreement and Order Declaring that the Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations Do Not Apply to Certain Mines in the Northwest Territories
Current status: open
From January 1, 2022 to March 2, 2022, we are consulting on the proposed equivalency agreement and the proposed Order Declaring that the Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations Do Not Apply to Certain Metal and Diamond Mines Located in the Northwest Territories.
In 2018, the Northwest Territories requested an equivalency agreement and Order to stand down the federal regulatory regime for metal and diamond mines in the Northwest Territories.
An equivalency agreement may be concluded when a provincial or territorial jurisdiction has laws and regulations that provide controls equivalent in effect to a federal regime. The proposed Agreement and proposed Order would reduce this regulatory duplication while ensuring at least the same level of environmental protection.
The Order would stand down the MDMER and subsection 36(3) of the Fisheries Act in the Northwest Territories for those mines that are subject to both federal Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations and territorial requirements.
Join in: how to participate
Send your comments to the address in the Contact us section below.
Email your comments to: email@example.com
To learn how we will protect your privacy during this consultation, please carefully review our privacy statement.
Who is the focus of this consultation
We would like to hear from:
- Indigenous peoples
- Provincial, territorial and local governments
- Industry stakeholders and association members
- Non-governmental organizations
- General public
- Order Declaring that the Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations Do Not Apply to Certain Metal and Diamond Mines Located in the Northwest Territories
- Agreement on the Equivalency of Laws Applicable to Certain Metal and Diamond Mines Located in the Northwest Territories
- Metal and Diamond Mining Effluent Regulations
- Fisheries Act
Mining and Processing Division
Environment and Climate Change Canada PVM
351 Saint-Joseph Boulevard, 11th Floor
Gatineau, Quebec K1A 0H3
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: