Apply for permit for hazardous wastes or recyclables

This is one of several fact sheets that provide guidance on shipping hazardous waste (HW) and hazardous recyclable material (HRM) across international borders. Check out other Fact Sheets at

Notice must be given to the appropriate authorities so that they can determine whether the movement of HW or HRM may proceed as proposed.   A permit is issued once all regulatory requirements are met and authorities provide consent.  Notices and permits are required under the Export and Import of Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Recyclable Material Regulations (EIHWHRMR), which Canada adopted as a party to the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movement of Hazardous Wastes and Their Disposal.


Export and import notices

  • An applicant must be a Canadian resident or have a place of business in Canada; AND
    • own or operate the facility from which the HW/HRM will be exported, OR
    • own or operate the facility to which the HW/HRM will be imported, OR
    • buy and sell HRM for recycling in Canada or other country subject to OECD Decision C(2001)107/Final.
  • The application must relate to either HW or HRM, unless it is a notice for transit through Canada.
  • Applicant cannot delegate responsibilities and is responsible for shipments, including outside Canada.

All notices

  • Must identify only one shipping facility/site in the country of origin, and no more than one interim/transfer operation in the country of destination.
  • Must include all authorized facilities that are to perform disposal or recycling.
  • May address different types of HW or HRM.
  • Permits are valid for a maximum of one year.
  • All contracts and insurance policies must remain valid for the period subject to the Permit.

Key steps

  • Log into the e-Notification and permit system. The e-Notification user guide explains how to submit and track your import and export notice. A Notice Reference Number will be automatically assigned.
  • Paper submissions are also accepted (pdf or HTML), but take longer to process. Contact us to get a reference number and start the process (see below.)
  • Requests for transits, re-routings, returns, and requests for amendments must be submitted by email, mail, registered mail, fax, or courier to:
    351 St. Joseph Boulevard, 9th Floor
    Gatineau, QC K1A 0H3
    Fax: 819-938-4555
  • Authorities from both the importing and exporting countries will exchange information and review the permit application.
  • Each country/authority will make a decision in accordance with their regulations and may apply specific conditions.
  • A permit is issued once all regulatory requirements are met and authorities provide consent.

Check list to avoid delays

Before submitting your notice, make sure that:

  • Information contained in the Canadian Notice, the foreign notice, and the contract(s) match identically, (e.g. legal names of business, addresses.)
  • A street address, not a P.O. Box, is used for the shipping and receiving site addresses.
  • Classification codes used to describe each waste or recyclable are coherent and listed in order of importance (see Fact Sheet on waste classification.)
  • Most current and relevant customs tarrif code(s) are used.
  • Contracts address all matters required by the Regulations, and are signed by authorized representatives, dated, and attached.  (Refer to Fact Sheet on contracts.)
  • Insurance company name and policy number are included.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: